Talk

Advanced search

is putting up wallpaper really that bad?

(15 Posts)
Misty9 Wed 12-Nov-14 18:52:46

Both decorators I've asked have said they won't do it! Would try myself but between looking after toddler and baby, it would take weeks.

Is it that onerous?

Elliptic5 Wed 12-Nov-14 20:10:28

Well I've wallpapered a couple of rooms and not found it too onerous, I don't understand why decorators wouldn't want to do it, is it a particularly awkward area to paper?

wowfudge Thu 13-Nov-14 07:22:37

Just a thought - have you contacted painters rather than decorators?

On the plus side, at least they have said they won't do it rather than agreeing to and making a hash of it if they don't know what they are doing.

Misty9 Thu 13-Nov-14 07:46:19

They all call themselves painter decorators, and one didn't know what I wwanted papering, he just said he doesn't do it. But yes, I agree, at least they're honest. Unlike the handymen who gave us a quote for boarding our loft but neglected to mention its already partly done... angry
I am so fed up with unreliable tradespeople.

BooDidIScareYou Thu 13-Nov-14 07:59:14

DP and I once wallpapered a smallish room and it really wasn't that bad. Quite a bit of swearing and 'oops lets try that bit again shall we', and we probably wasted more wallpaper than a pro would, but I don't think it was that difficult!

I think it largely depends on the state of the walls you're starting with though, and how true the skirting boards / ceiling angles are - if its an old house and things are all a bit wonky it could be pretty tricky I imagibd

BooDidIScareYou Thu 13-Nov-14 07:59:35

imagine!

gamerchick Thu 13-Nov-14 08:06:45

I prefer wallpapering to painting.. I don't understand why they won't do it though. If they had been trained in p&d it would have been covered. What kind of room is it... will it be a faff?

ptumbi Thu 13-Nov-14 08:09:48

I love wallpapering! It's not hard, unless it;s a complicated pattern or silk-paper or something. Why on earth would decorators not be able to do it?

Greencheese Thu 13-Nov-14 08:13:25

Is there a lot to wall paper? Maybe they are just saying that, as its too small a job to make it worth while for them?

gamerchick Thu 13-Nov-14 08:14:31

And what kind of wallpaper were you wanting up? The decent more pricey stuff is lovely to hang but b&m, although looks good when it's up is a swine to hang and is enough to make anybody groan.

Misty9 Thu 13-Nov-14 11:22:25

That's my point though, they didn't see the wallpaper or the walls! Just said they won't wallpaper.

Incidentally, it's a texture effect paper from habitat £15 a roll, and it's a pretty big room. Have contacted some wallpaper hanger type bods so will await eye watering quotes...

Phoenixfrights Thu 13-Nov-14 12:03:24

I've done it recently, first time and in a really awkward space. I found it quicker than painting TBH. You do need a decent table though, I coulnd't get along with pasting the wall as it seemed to end up all over the paper....

The main thing is that when you buy your paper, you have to make sure you have enough. If the repeat is big, then you will waste more than if the repeat is small.

oh, and don't forget to use a plumb-line. Any weight tied onto a piece of string will do. My mum used to use the weight from our old pressure-cooker.

HaveToWearHeels Thu 13-Nov-14 16:53:47

I find it very therapeutic, and it's nice to stand back and say "I did that". Just take your time, plan it out first and don't get flustered. Give it a go.
Shocked that someone who calls themselves a painter and decorator can't wallpaper.

Phoenixfrights Thu 13-Nov-14 18:28:45

Also shocked that a painter and decorator won't put wallpaper up - who knew?! Are you proposing to put something expensive up?

Totesnamechanged Thu 13-Nov-14 18:34:57

I'm notoriously shit at painting and am clumsy and impatient, but I managed to do a feature wall in my bedroom with a fairly complex pattern.

I you tubed before and during and just took my time. It's awesome even if I do say so myself

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now