Talk

Advanced search

Do people not use gloss emulsion any more ?

(10 Posts)
olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 12-Nov-14 18:47:25

I have my sitting room painted matte but it's really easily marked . The DCs have it all scuffed .

I said to my mum I was going to paint it the same colour but in gloss and she made a face and said people don't use gloss emulsion anymore ? confused

BOFster Wed 12-Nov-14 18:49:15

Silk emulsion? Gloss is the oil-based stuff for woodwork, but that is being taken over by eggshell these days, I've noticed, as it's hard to work with and a bit smelly and slow to dry.

LuckyLopez Wed 12-Nov-14 18:49:16

That's a contradiction of terms surely?

Do you mean silk emulsion?

WD41 Wed 12-Nov-14 18:50:03

I'm not surprised she made a face! Walls painted in gloss!

SeaUnicorns Wed 12-Nov-14 18:51:41

I always thought gloss and emulsion were different things!

Gloss was that really smelly oil based paint that you painted skirting boards door frames and doors in and came in quite small tins

And

Emulsion was a water based paint used for walls!

You can get hard wearing emulsion or stuff that you can just wipe greasy finger marks way with.

minipie Wed 12-Nov-14 18:56:06

Nooo don't use gloss on the walls. Nobody ever did this!

"Gloss emulsion" doesn't exist. It's emulsion (for walls) or gloss (for wood). Although as BOF says, satinwood or eggshell are more popular for wood these days, bit less shiny than gloss.

I think you must mean silk emulsion, or maybe vinyl emulsion or washable emulsion (all v similar). Bit more of a sheen than dead matt, stand up well to scrubbing. Something like Dulux Endurance or kitchen and bathroom paint. You can get any colour mixed in these.

Bunbaker Wed 12-Nov-14 18:58:16

You mean silk emulsion, not gloss. Gloss paint is not a water based paint and has a strong smell. It is very durable and used for woodwork - doors, skirting boards etc.

olaflikeswarmhugs Wed 12-Nov-14 19:05:06

Ha I meant silk !! And I said silk when I was telling DM I was thinking about gloss for the hall there as well when I was thinking about the sitting room paint gringrinblush

I use kitchen and bathroom paint pretty much everywhere - it is not too shiny but still wipeable.

burnishedsilver Wed 12-Nov-14 19:23:22

Don't use silk. It'll highlight every tiny imperfection in the wall. Use a washable matt (except not crown washable matt...its awful).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now