Talk

Advanced search

Help! Bamboo kitchen floor arrived and its' too orange. Recent kitchen floor recommendations please? Under £30/sq m

(14 Posts)
Briony32 Tue 11-Nov-14 21:49:18

New kitchen floor has arrived from Simply Bamboo. We researched and researched it but it's arrived today and it's far too orange with tiger-like stripes. Much darker than the sample they sent us. It's strand woven and is the lightest colour they have.
I need something much blonder and something that will work well with a white gloss kitchen. I like the quality of the bamboo and the finish as it seems pretty resilient and hard wearing but the colour is sooo disappointing. The kitchen is open plan to the living room so we went for a wooden floor instead of a tile floor to add a bit of cosiness but I'm not sure I can live with this!
I'm kind of at the end of my tether as we need to make a fast decision.
Any recommendations please for something under £30/sq metre? Have you for something that you are really pleased with?
from a desperate mum who is slowly going mad (dramatic, I know, but I'm that's how I feel!!)
I'd be so grateful.

Behoove Tue 11-Nov-14 22:04:09

Karndean or similar? Expensive for vinyl but totally worth it.

We have wide 'oak' textured planks laid diagonally with a pale thin edging that follows the shape of the kitchen diner. Three years down the line it's still perfect.

Behoove Tue 11-Nov-14 22:07:35

This type of thing only in natural oak

Threesoundslikealot Tue 11-Nov-14 22:31:43

We have wood effect tiles. I cannot recommend them highly enough. They are not cosy but look exactly like wood which gives a great look. And £18 a square metre.

Briony32 Wed 12-Nov-14 07:55:54

Thanks Behoove and Three for your quick response. I will check these out. After the disaster yesterday, I feel I should limit myself to places with actual showrooms so I can see the product so will pop to Topps Tiles and Homebase today. But I had already done that and I hadn't found anything that really fits the bill....so fingers crossed!
Or does anyone have any recommendations for recently ordered online products that I can follow up?

PlasticPinkFlamingo Wed 12-Nov-14 08:05:59

When our bamboo flooring arrived we were worried about the colour as well. However when the flooring was exposed to the air the colour changed and was less orange. It doesn't look orange now. We have natural strand woven bamboo as well.

pippop1 Wed 12-Nov-14 08:18:44

Quickstep has some lovely styles. Prices vary so chose, and then phone around for prices.

mrspink27 Wed 12-Nov-14 08:37:51

Amtico all the way!

sacbina Wed 12-Nov-14 09:11:23

same with our strand woven bamboo. has paled significantly and is beautiful. is also bombproof

DreamboatDaddy Wed 12-Nov-14 09:12:54

We went through the exact same process and decided against strand woven at the last minute - for exactly the same reasons!

Instead we went for the natural bamboo. We also went open plan with gloss kitchen and we've done the entire house minus the bathrooms in it - we're really pleased with it.

www.bambooflooringcompany.com/solid-natural-horizontal-bamboo-flooring.html

Excuse chaos in picture! PM me if you need any more info.

Threesoundslikealot Wed 12-Nov-14 11:16:47

We got these from this website. We've had three deliveries from this company with no problems and good customer service. They run regular promotions (once every couple of weeks) when they offer 10/15% off.

www.wallsandfloors.co.uk/catrangetiles/wood-effect-tiles/rustic-wood-tiles/rustic-wood-oak-tiles/18653/

I chose the tiles in a hurry for complicated reasons, and the tiler and the builder think they are amazing. Visitors cannot believe they are not real wood! The builder is now putting them in his own house.

LL12 Wed 12-Nov-14 13:09:29

Polyflor Camero
Just had it in my kitchen after I was very pleased with it in my hallway.

Briony32 Wed 12-Nov-14 22:00:50

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Your kitchen floor looks great DreamBoat....much more the colour I was aiming for. We were persuaded to go for strand woven because of it's durability, but I think the horizontal bamboo looks much nicer.
I'm not totally convinced about wood look tiles but will check them out. I was trying to avoid wood look anything but they do seem ideal in terms of adding warmth and being waterproof and stain resistant etc.
I'm going to look at some top layer oak wood flooring, just hoping it stands up to pounding little feet, scratches and wallops.

TheLyingOldBitchAndHerWardrobe Wed 12-Nov-14 22:11:56

We have amtico in the hallway and bathrooms and it's great, warm underfoot, easy to clean and looks beautiful. We have wood effect in the hallway and tiled effect in the bathrooms.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now