Talk

Advanced search

Anyone an electrician or have a partner who is?

(11 Posts)
Cabbagesaregreen Tue 11-Nov-14 20:25:28

Hi. Just forked out a few thousand for new boiler so broke until the end of the month. Our bathroom lights have stopped working. They have a cord switch and when there was first a problem, the lights tried to come on but then died. The bulbs are fine.
I don't know whether the switch is in or off as it's a pull one and can't switch off at fuse box as this would switch off all upstair lights. We have a light above the mirror so can wait.
There isn't a leak as no water and this was checked by boiler men. I think it might be caused by moisture as extractor fan is rubbish and we've recently started to dry clothes on that room.
Do you think it is a fire risk or can we wait till pay day?
Thanks. Very worried.

Cabbagesaregreen Tue 11-Nov-14 20:56:12

Bump as I realise not an exciting thread!

lemisscared Tue 11-Nov-14 21:04:45

How old is the switch? I dismantled mine as it had stopped working youd pull it.5 it would click once then stay off then about ten minutes later click again and come on. Somp

Something wasn't aligned properly and i put it all back together and it worked fine. To be fair dp reconnected it.

Cabbagesaregreen Tue 11-Nov-14 21:08:16

We had it replaced probably 3 or 4 years ago. I do have a teenage son who pulls it quite hard and broke it before. Neither dh or I have any diy skills. It's the fire thing that worries me.

PigletJohn Tue 11-Nov-14 21:08:39

you mean there are several lights and they all stopped working at the same time?

Are they <spits> low voltage downlighters?

Is there one main ceiling rose?

It is not likely to be dangerous.

Cabbagesaregreen Tue 11-Nov-14 21:11:12

Hi. There are two spotlight downers at 60 watt. Both went together although they did come on dimly for a couple of second before totally dying.

Cabbagesaregreen Tue 11-Nov-14 21:14:49

Thanks everybody. I do appreciated responses. Put together alll cash I could for new boiler today so really bad timing.

Cabbagesaregreen Tue 11-Nov-14 21:53:25

My electrician is coming out tomorrow and I can pay him on pay day! Thanks again.

PigletJohn Tue 11-Nov-14 21:54:58

it may well be a bad connection, which after time has got worse and burned through. It might be in the switch, or it might be in one of the downlighters, or the junction box in the ceiling. When this happens, the connectors and wires are (should be) inside an insulated and flameproof (or metal) enclosure so unlikely to do anything untoward. Be aware of any hot or fishy smells, including in the room or loft above. It is likely to be a simple job to repair. Lighting circuits require some understanding, as there may be multiple wires in various colours that perform different functions from other wires of the same colour.

Pull-switch mechanisms do sometimes get deranged or jam, and are best replaced. They are very inexpensive. MK, Crabtree and MEM are better brands.

BTW if you have someone who is overly violent with a pull-cord switch, observe that there is a tiny plastic egg a couple of inches under the switch. Here the short cord attached to the switch joins to the longer, replaceable, drop cord. If you salvage another plastic egg from a similar switch, you can put a strong rubber band between the switch and the long cord. Your violent user will just stretch, or possibly break, the rubber band.

Cabbagesaregreen Tue 11-Nov-14 21:59:15

Thanks, piglet john. That's very useful!

Cabbagesaregreen Wed 12-Nov-14 19:50:42

Update. Fixed today. Was the switch ! Will do your trick, piglet john.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now