Talk

Advanced search

Bathroom or Garden

(9 Posts)
Figfog Tue 11-Nov-14 13:35:22

Would appreciate opinions! We have recently had a small windfall which is enough to upgrade our bathroom OR garden and we're not sure which one to pick.

Both are pretty decent but bland. In the garden it's just new build style turf really. We would like a small patio put in, some steps to deal with a slight slope and some nice shrubs/ trees for privacy. We don't really use the garden at all as there is nothing in it, so that would be nice to change.

The bathroom has a shallow bath only and so we want to replace with a deeper bath, add a shower and re-tile. We have a shower in our ensuite so this isn't strictly necessary, but would be useful.

I love lovely baths but I would also love to use my garden more in the spring/ summer.

Which would you choose? We're struggling to decide! Does one over the other become more important when selling a house?

Thanks smile

marymcb Tue 11-Nov-14 15:15:11

I feel your dilemma, I love a good bath but also love sitting in the garden with a cup of tea! Not sure which would influence house buyers, probably bathroom as it is perceived as more hassle and messier to get done.

In saying that I would probably go for garden because you'll spend more time in it if it's the way you want it!

Sorry, not much help really but a nice problem to have!

HeyMacWey Tue 11-Nov-14 15:19:32

Ooh could you do the garden and add a deep bath and then save up for the rest of the bathroom bits?

When are you planning on selling? If it's going to be in a few years I'd do what's going to make the biggest difference to your life at this point in time. Unless your current bathroom tiles are hideous I don't imagine it's going to make much of a difference price wise and like you say you've already got another shower.

poocatcherchampion Tue 11-Nov-14 15:42:17

how much is the money? can you do a bit of both?

Figfog Tue 11-Nov-14 15:47:39

Thanks! I know it's a great problem to have really but we do need to make a decision. We have never done stuff like this to a house so it's all quite new.

I think I am leaning a bit towards getting just the bath and tiles done and then sort out the garden as I think my son would prefer that too so he can have a nice place to play outside. Current tiles aren't hideous at all- just boring white (the whole bathroom is white actually).

burnishedsilver Tue 11-Nov-14 16:42:26

Seeing as you have an en suite and the bathroom is functional and not horrendously ugly I'd go with the garden. You'll see it from the inside all winter and use it all summer. It will have more impact than the occasional bath in a roomier tub.

Sandthorn Tue 11-Nov-14 17:50:49

Garden! You already use the bathroom, and you'll fix it up when you get a chance, but that's cosmetic. Do the garden: you'll want to be out there more, and you'll see it all the time from the house... All of a sudden, your house will feel twice as big.

Marmitelover55 Tue 11-Nov-14 18:06:08

Another vote for garden.

Figfog Tue 11-Nov-14 19:06:35

Thanks everyone. I have someone coming to give a quote on the garden this week, so I think that may be the way forward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now