Talk

Advanced search

Adding a decorative ceiling rose

(12 Posts)
Greencheese Mon 10-Nov-14 21:28:29

Hi, we are just about to have our ceilings re plastered and I fancy a decorative ceiling rose. But what sort look best?

Polystyrene, resin or plaster?

PigletJohn Mon 10-Nov-14 22:27:26

if you're having it replastered, the plasterer will want a fibrous plaster one. The sneer at plastic.

Although my neighbour has a polystyrene one in his listed building, he was very amused that the Conservation Officer took a photo and insisted that it had to stay. The builder took great delight in dropping it when the CO was in the room.

wowfudge Mon 10-Nov-14 22:30:14

I understand the resin ones are easier and quicker to fit than plaster - I don't know if they can be painted as that might be a consideration?

PigletJohn Mon 10-Nov-14 23:12:32

yes, they have a sort of matt finish as the makers expect them to be emulsioned. The plaster ones used to be screwed up in old houses, same as coves and cornices, but there is probably an adhesive now. I don't think the fitting time should be significant. The plasterers will have their stilts on and sheeted the room already.

burnishedsilver Tue 11-Nov-14 10:29:26

I have a polystyrene one. I was unsure about it but I wanted a simple design and the plaster ones were all too ornate. Now that it's up and painted you would never know the difference. It looks very well.

Greencheese Tue 11-Nov-14 19:56:34

Ha, piglet john that's funny!

I've seen this one in Home base that's made of polyurethane. I don't even know what that it? Would that be ok? I like the idea of just buying it from a. Shop than ordering it online, I have visions of an expensive plaster one getting smashed.

What's your opinion on this sort of thing. www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/r7-ceiling-rose---white---26cm-393753

Marmitelover55 Tue 11-Nov-14 20:02:42

We bought a large plaster one for our sitting room and the builder screwed it to the joists I think. Looks good but sadly not as good as the original one would have looked.

Greencheese Tue 11-Nov-14 20:54:14

Literally every period feature has been removed from our house. It's such a shame isn't it. I'm putting a victorian fireplace back in to give it a bit of life back.

PigletJohn Tue 11-Nov-14 20:57:13

Greencheese

It's very small. I am used to them about a metre across.

Greencheese Tue 11-Nov-14 22:24:44

That is rather small come to think of it. It's a 4m by 4m room. I think I'll go amd draw on the ceiling (as its getting plastered anyway) and see how the size looks. What's that material like?

PigletJohn Tue 11-Nov-14 22:27:58

thin rigid plastic. You can paint it. If you run a smudge of decorators caulk round the outside it will hide the joint with the ceiling. Get your lighting rose installed first (and any hook for a chandelier or other heavy pendant) to avoid disturbing the ornament.

Greencheese Tue 11-Nov-14 22:38:36

thanks PJ. You are so helpful. You should have a little tv slot or something!

'DIY with Piglet J'

I'd tune in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now