Talk

Advanced search

Open-tread stairs + toddler = madness?

(7 Posts)
ReinholdMessner Mon 10-Nov-14 21:09:25

We've seen a 1960s house which in many ways might be perfect.

But - it has an open-tread staircase. We have a 15mo DD and plan to have another in the next few years so there will be tiny people around for a little while.

any experiences of toddlers in combination with open-tread stairs? Are we mad to consider it?

PigletJohn Mon 10-Nov-14 21:46:34

you can have wooden protective panels or battens added where the risers would be, to prevent an adult's foot or a child's head going through the gap.

Almost certainly the staircase was equipped with these when it was installed, to meet building regulations, and a previous owner removed them to give a more airy and roomy feel to the house. A carpenter would be able to make and fit them.

AFAIK the number of deaths associated with open staircases is quite low.

ReinholdMessner Mon 10-Nov-14 21:59:35

Thanks PigletJohn - I wondered about something like this as a whole new staircase is likely to be out of budget for a few years. Any thoughts on a ballpark figure to get them fitted? We are in Birmingham.

TalkinPeace Mon 10-Nov-14 22:07:36

they were all the rage when I was a kid - great fun things - esp if a beanbag under the stairs to land on grin

Iggi999 Mon 10-Nov-14 22:07:42

If the house is perfect, buy it and just fix the stairs!

PigletJohn Mon 10-Nov-14 22:09:36

nope

but I would have thought low £hundreds if you pay someone. Less if you DIY. There might already be screw-holes.

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Mon 10-Nov-14 22:10:16

My parents have this on their house. I grew up there as did my two brothers and now my toddler dd visits regularly. No problems.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now