Talk

Advanced search

Dear Mumsnetters. Please choose my new electric shower for I am pathetic.

(8 Posts)
IAmAPaleontologist Mon 10-Nov-14 14:15:32

Shower been slowly dying. Now won't work. Need a new one.

I know electric ones are shit but I need one. What shall I buy? Are some better than others for flow rate? I know I can't expect miracles.

Am surviving on our shower that runs off the mains which is really difficult to get a stable temperature on and is worse than a bog standard electric for water pressure. Least it is winter and therefore we have fire on and have hot water. Not good for washing hair.

WowOoo Mon 10-Nov-14 14:20:01

We replaced ours not so long ago.
I had two plumbers/fitters arguing about whether a Redring or a Mira is the best one.
Ours is a redring and is fine so far after 6 months. Lovely, constant heat.
We had a Mira for years which was great, then had another Mira that was crappy and kept breaking.

IAmAPaleontologist Mon 10-Nov-14 14:29:10

I think current one is Mira. Not seen and Redring, shall google.

A few searches indicate PigletJohn thinks Aqualisa is best.

I appear to now have a list of what size fuse you need for what power of shower and also what size cabling. I was going to have a crack at replacing it myself but I have no idea how to tell what size cabling I have! May end up with a low wattage one just because I'm too scared to put anything else in!

IAmAPaleontologist Mon 10-Nov-14 16:14:23

Hmmm current shower is a Triton Ivory 3. This appears to have been available in a variety of kW. Useful. Predates our buying the house so anyone know how I can tell what rating it is?

PigletJohn Mon 10-Nov-14 16:23:46

Have a look at the circuit breaker that is labelled "electric shower"

It might be marked B32 or B40.

You can't just upgrade the breaker because it will (should) have been selected to match the current-carrying capacity of the cable that was used.

Most electric showers are quite "economically" built so get a surface-mounted one with chromed water pipe on the surface so that you can replace it without having to dig out tiles from the wall.

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 19-Nov-14 15:44:28

Looking at teh circuit breaker has been on my to do list. I hadn't quite realised how long it has been since you posted that pigletjohn blush

It says B32.

So what can I go up to on that?

Woozlebear Wed 19-Nov-14 15:58:26

I know nothing about them bit we had a Mira which seemed thoroughly satisfactory. It looked nice as well- frosted glass panel thing rather than white plastic lump.

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 19-Nov-14 16:00:24

Some googling suggests that with a b32 in teh fuse box I can only have a 7/7.5kw shower but there hardly seem to be any around.

Am going to have to cal the electrician.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now