Talk

Advanced search

Best temp to leave heating on for condensation

(6 Posts)
Haushinka Sun 09-Nov-14 22:44:18

I know it really depends on how warm you like to be, but I've been advised to leave the heating on a low temp all day instead of firing the boiler up when it gets cold (ground floor flat condensation problem)

Just wondering if anyone does this and what temp you have the thermostat on? I usually have heating on a timer and it's set at 21. Was thinking something like 16 - 17 all day but I'm scared about the bill.

Thanks

PigletJohn Mon 10-Nov-14 01:01:12

ventilation is much better than heat for preventing condensation.

Does your condensation appear on the walls, or on the windows?

Is your home old, with solid (non-cavity) walls? Is it a concrete floor?

Is wet washing draped around your home?

Haushinka Mon 10-Nov-14 09:04:09

The ventilation is as good as I think I can make it.

Leave the small bathroom window a little open and threre's an exctractor in there and the kitchen.

The front external walls are getting the condensation as unfirtunately they're where the bedrooms are. Ideally I'l leave the top windows open but I don't like to as we're ground floor.

I do have to dry washing on rads sometimes but never in the bedrooma. It's such a pain. I think I'll look into cavity walls as it's brick built 60's building.

Haushinka Mon 10-Nov-14 09:05:12

Ah loads of spelling mistakes sorry.

PigletJohn Mon 10-Nov-14 09:52:14

If you ever have to hang wet washing indoors, put it in the bathroom with the extractor fan running and the door and window shut. The suction will prevent water vapour drifting round your home.

You could try setting the heating to 15C when you are out or in bed. It is not as economical as off, but will come on if needed to prevent the house getting really cold.

If you have one of the old rotating-knob thermostats, consider changing it to a programmable stat such as the Honeywell CM907, which allows you to set different temperatures for different times of day and days of week, to optimise comfort and economy.

The heat will reduce condensation on walls, especially if they have CWI, but will not prevent condensation on windows.

Bedrooms benefit from having the windows opened every morning after throwing back the bedding. If your windows have trickle vents, leave them open. I am saddened by windows without trickle vents.

Have a look at the British Gas website as they usually offer subsidised insulation, you do not have to be their customer. They are I think more trustworthy than cold-calling doorsteppers.

PigletJohn Mon 10-Nov-14 09:55:35

p.s. I see you are in a flat. Usually the owners of the entire block will have to agree to CWI at the same time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now