Talk

Advanced search

oven keeps turning itself off

(22 Posts)
youbethemummylion Sun 09-Nov-14 21:24:41

Our ancient electric oven would loose power everytime it git too about 200 degrees, as in no power at all to it even the clock went off, however the fuse want tripped. We bought a new oven as the old one was very old. Installed it today and it is doing the same, the fuse box is not tripping the oven is just turning itself off. Any ideas?

KirstyJC Sun 09-Nov-14 21:27:09

Is the clock set properly? If our power goes off (which it does fairly often around here) then it won't work until the clock stops flashing. It doesn't matter whether the time is correct, it just has to be set to something.

My Dad used to own a kitchen company and he said SO many people called him telling him their new oven was faulty but all it needed was the clock to stop flashing.

youbethemummylion Sun 09-Nov-14 21:29:07

Yes we reset the clock each time, it comes on fine just turns itself off after about 10 minutes.

KirstyJC Sun 09-Nov-14 21:34:05

Ah OK then, that's me out of ideas. Sorry!

Although if you have the new oven doing the same thing it sounds like the wiring/socket, not the oven. Have you checked the wiring? Might be time to get an electrician in? Could you try another socket, just to test it? Do you have an isolation fuse and is that OK?

youbethemummylion Sun 09-Nov-14 21:39:01

Erm it plugs into a socket with a special red switch marked oven whatever that is/does. I will have to call an electrician I think. I pushes my diy abilities to the limit putting the plug on!

roneik Sun 09-Nov-14 21:41:03

Don't even think about another socket

Electric cookers are kilo watts and cannot be plugged into any socket
They run on a different wiring circuit and are wired into a blank socket
You will cause possibly a fire if you put a plug on the cable
You need an electrician something isn't right with the installation or wiring

KirstyJC Sun 09-Nov-14 21:43:37

I think the red switch is the isolation fuse thingy. I think an electrician might be a good idea!

If it was me, I would try and plug it into another socket just to see what happens. Maybe put it on low and see if you can get past 10 mins - it seems really unlikely to be a fault with the oven if it's brand new. So it probably won't explode your circuit board....or you might just want to wait for the electrician!

roneik Sun 09-Nov-14 21:43:48

Cookers dont have plugs fitted

They have to be wired into a separate higher rated circuit not 32 amps

Please dont use it you could cause a fire or damage your wiring

I am not an electrician but this much I know, trust me

KirstyJC Sun 09-Nov-14 21:44:44

Ooops - cross post! Perhaps an electrician then!

roneik Sun 09-Nov-14 21:48:07

The red switch is for on off of oven

THE |SOCKET IS FOR KETTLES ECT NOT COOKERS

KirstyJC Sun 09-Nov-14 21:49:24

Oh, I missed the bit about the plug - have you actually added a plug to the end of the wire then? You definitely shouldn't do that - everything in the UK that needs a plug should be sold with one already on. (Assuming you are in UK).

Definitely get an electrician if you have done that!! And unplug it until then.

youbethemummylion Sun 09-Nov-14 21:53:15

The oven we took out was plugged in! And as this one came with no power lead we took the one off the old oven and used it on this one. I had to remove the plug to pass it through the hole in the cupboard as its a built under oven and the socket is in the next door cupboard.

roneik Sun 09-Nov-14 21:56:02

The op say's "it plugs in"

Cookers dont plug in

They are I believe the simular rating to a shower and they are kiklo watts which is over a thousand watts and usually 2kilo watt. Thats why they run on a heavier circuit

That sort of current kills no second chances. not being dramatic just dont want the op to kill herself#

roneik Sun 09-Nov-14 22:01:18

Then you should not be running a cooker in your kitchen , it's obvious you are overloading the 32amp circuit and are in danger of a house fire if you continue

If you have not got the blank socket near the floor you have not got the circuit for the cooker ,Thats probably why the previous cooker failed

Electronic stuff fails on much lower currents than they require. So you also run the risk of ruining this new cooker

As I said I am not an electrician but trust me they dont run on 32 amps

youbethemummylion Sun 09-Nov-14 22:05:40

Ok, I've unplugged the cooker and turned the red switch to off. I will call an electrician in the morning. The other oven was already here when we moved in 5yrs ago and only started acting up in the last month or so, we must have been lucky as seems it has never been wired in right. Thanks for the advice I'm not touching it again until the electricians been now.

roneik Sun 09-Nov-14 22:08:18

I have just googled and the average oven uses 2400 watts , thats 2.4 kilo watt

So for gods sake get an electrician

32 amp sockets cant cope with that

roneik Sun 09-Nov-14 22:12:12

Cross post
I am glad you are getting an electrician, I was really worried for you

I always get the shop to wire mine in , and last year cost 25 quid.

DIY yes electrics no

cheerupandhaveaglassofwine Sun 09-Nov-14 22:32:36

We have an oven that uses a normal 13amp plug, not many on the market that do and unless you specified when you bought the new one it will almost certainly need to be hard wired into a 32amp supply

roneik Sun 09-Nov-14 22:39:07

Posts should read don't run on 13 amp circuits (sockets)

PigletJohn Mon 10-Nov-14 00:52:07

when you say "oven" do you mean oven, or do you mean cooker?

It makes a very big difference.

youbethemummylion Mon 10-Nov-14 05:22:46

Its a built under single oven, that's what it says on the box

PigletJohn Mon 10-Nov-14 10:11:40

If it is a single oven (not a cooker) designed for the UK market then it is most likely suitable for use with a 13A fused plug and socket. Ovens do not run for long continuous periods as the thermostat cuts the load once they are up to temperature. Kitchens which have a dedicated cooker circuit usually have a big red switch on the wall, and this is suitable for an electric cooker, or for an electric hob and separate electric oven. Not all are rated high enough for a huge electric range.

Double electric ovens, and electric cookers, must not be connected with a 13A plug.

Gas cookers, gas ovens, and dual fuel cookers with a single electric oven, can be, and in the UK will usually come with a plug attached.

In all cases the manufacturer's instructions must be followed. Some appliances are designed for countries which do not benefit from our wonderful fused plug.

The problem you describe suggests a poor contact in the switch or the wall outlet, which cuts out when it gets hot (which a poor contact will do). It will get worse and needs an electrician to cut out the heat-damaged copper and renew.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now