Talk

Advanced search

Knocking through btwn kitchen & dining room, which doors to keep?

(5 Posts)
genieg Sun 09-Nov-14 14:44:49

We are planning to knock through between the kitchen & dining room. Both are a reasonable size so it will produce a room 29 by 12-14 ft with the two areas fairly square and offset from each other by a couple of feet.

Options are

1. Keep kitchen door and block up dining door which gives easy access to the kitchen and a nice large dining area enclosed on 3 sides with more room for furniture against the wall. Gives easy access to kitchen for carrying shopping etc.

2. Block up kitchen and put double glass doors into dining area. The blocked up kitchen door gives space for a big bank of tall units tucked away. Double glass doors will capture light from the west facing window on the stair turning giving the room some afternoon light, at the moment the kitchen/dining is east facing. Downside is walking into dining area first then to kitchen.

3. Keep both sets of doors.

If you knocked through, what did you do????

Vanillepudding Sun 09-Nov-14 15:01:55

We kept the kitchen door, and I'm happy with that.

My biggest issue was direct light throughout the house, followed by the shortest path from utility (off kitchen) to the dc's bedrooms.

The kitchen had to be planned very meticulously to maximise the space, but we manage.

Vanillepudding Sun 09-Nov-14 15:03:02

PS I wouldn't keep both doors, that would be pointless really.

burnishedsilver Sun 09-Nov-14 15:39:50

We removed the dining door but left a tall window in its place which gave us more light and a view of the garden from the hall.

poocatcherchampion Sun 09-Nov-14 19:16:55

keep kitchen door

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now