Talk

Advanced search

Colour Scheme for Rental Renovation

(14 Posts)
whitechocolatestars Sun 09-Nov-14 09:20:07

Hi everyone, we are buying a rental house and are making a few decisions that I'm pretty sure the mn experts will be able to help with!

We are doing a complete cosmetic update throughout the whole house including kitchen, bathrooms, flooring and walls.

I would like to keep the same tone throughout so it flows and is easy to maintain and wanted to ask which you have found rents better / is more popular either as tenants or LLs.

1)Grey / White colour scheme - quite modern and can be done to give warm effect. Likely grey tone floor coverings and white tone walls.

2) Beige / white colour scheme - very neutral, warm and goes with most furnishings. Would probably mean cream walls, white woodwork and beige carpets (is this a no no?)

Just for background, the house is quite light (faces south west and north east), modern build. It will appeal to most brackets including professional couples, corporates, young families and downsizers. It will probably be mid price range (but in a fairly expensive area near London).

So, what's the verdict? Any suggestions appreciated.

Greencheese Sun 09-Nov-14 10:05:34

Both would be fine to be honest, personally I'd prefer white and grey. So long as it's neutral you'll be ok.

specialsubject Sun 09-Nov-14 11:13:31

it has to be the old landlord beige, really. Boring for some but won't offend anyone. I rented out a house with lots of warmer colours and the tenants asked to paint it white!

carpets have to be neutral, I'd go for the beige as you would expect to replace every 8 years or so. Paint it all the same colour so touch ups are easy.

whitechocolatestars Sun 09-Nov-14 11:15:00

Great advice, thank you

TeacupDrama Sun 09-Nov-14 16:28:31

judging my homes under the hammer cream/beige slightly darker than beige carpets pale brown oatmeal flecked too pale shows every mark too dark absorbs light makes rooms smaller

keep woodwork white or wood; do not paint skirtings doors or window frames anything other than white

white might be better if very modern but magnolia/cream a bit more forgiving if walls not 100% flat even

DelGirl Sun 09-Nov-14 16:32:28

I use a very pale coffee colour and 'ash brown' berber carpet usually.

DelGirl Sun 09-Nov-14 16:36:42

Tell a lie, pale mink. A bit different from the usual magnolia.

goodasitgets Sun 09-Nov-14 16:50:59

I don't know if this helps but mine is a new build and v neutral and I still love it!
Walls are cotton white dulux, skirtings and woodwork also white. Carpet is a sort of flecked oatmeal colour, kitchen cupboards pale too

goodasitgets Sun 09-Nov-14 16:52:15

Pics of kitchen through to living room

HaveToWearHeels Sun 09-Nov-14 19:14:24

All ours are cream walls with beige carpet, something with a fleck to hide the marks better. I find an empty grey house too cold, although I do love grey, it isn't until you add colour it looks nice, so not good when people view.

whitechocolatestars Sun 09-Nov-14 20:04:19

They look great, thank you. That's excellent advice on the flecks, will definitely add for carpets that as I'd like something warmer than a laminate floor but was worried about marks on lighter carpets.

It sounds like lots of people feel the same way, the grey would be something you might do for yourself but wouldn't do for a wider market, exactly the help I was looking for. It's a shame as I was quite looking forward to the idea of trying something new (have always used neutrals before) but I think the point about feeling cold when you view is also an excellent one.

Landlord beige it is! Thanks again.

littlemonkeyface Sun 09-Nov-14 20:23:17

Hi

I think either colour scheme would be good for a rental property, but what about laminate rather than carpet as it is easier to keep clean and therefore much more hygienic, especially if you are considering letting to a family with kids (and possibly pets?). Also it will allow the tenants to put their own 'mark' on the property by putting down a few rugs in their preferred colour scheme / style.

whitechocolatestars Sun 09-Nov-14 21:32:13

I agree little monkey face, we are looking at laminate through some of the heavier wear areas but I think it could be too much to do throughout the whole house. We don't plan to allow pets if we don't have to

HaveToWearHeels Sun 09-Nov-14 22:41:38

We have wooden flooring in all but one of our halls, in the last one we put wood effect lino which we continued into the kitchen. Looks really nice but was cheaper than wood. We also use tile effect lino in bathrooms, better for families than tiles. Carpet everywhere else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now