Talk

Advanced search

Should we pay Dynorod £800 plus?

(7 Posts)
lazysummer Sat 08-Nov-14 18:28:25

We have had a lot of trouble with blockages- toilet and kitchen sink. The toilet was cleared last week, but the pipes are built up with limescale, so it is likely to happen again. We have been advised to have a descale costing more than £800. Is there a cheaper alternative?

cheerupandhaveaglassofwine Sat 08-Nov-14 22:25:08

If they are only meaning the plastic pipes for the drainage that stuff for sinks is only a couple of quid a length

Have you tried a plumber, would think it much cheaper to get waste pipes and sink traps replaced

Can't see you spending much more than £50 at B&Q prices for a few lengths of piping and some fittings

Plumber can probably get the bits slightly cheaper still so even with fitting shouldn't be that much

cheerupandhaveaglassofwine Sat 08-Nov-14 22:28:53

I have never heard of toilet pipes getting blocked with lime scale but would think a plumber would still be a better bet for the others and will also know about the best option for the toilet pipes

Ask around for recommendations for a local independent, if you know anyone with rental property ask them which plumber they use, most landlords will have a couple of good cheap plumbers to call on who will come and do the job quickly and at the right price

greenfolder Sun 09-Nov-14 09:37:07

i have never heard of that! but by comparison, we had issues with our toilet pipe- around 3 metres to the sewer across the front garden. It cost less than £1000 to have the garden dug up and the entire thing replaced.

lazysummer Sun 09-Nov-14 11:37:05

Thanks for the advice. We will contact a plumber I think.

summersoft Sun 09-Nov-14 21:16:01

Your urine has a lot if calcium in it. This is what scales up the pipes. Other half had to regularly unblock urinals, buckets if the stuff.

roneik Sun 09-Nov-14 21:29:34

Forget urine i have been squirting it all my life with no adverse effect
Buy a set of drain rods, and the scraper and swirly bit that screws on. I would bet it's grease and gunge problem. A set of drain rods and a couple of minutes of effort. Lift the manhole and you may well see the problem

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now