Talk

Advanced search

Pine floor in the bathroom.. is this madness?

(13 Posts)
allybells Sat 08-Nov-14 11:13:31

Hi everyone, has anyone got pine flooring in their bathroom? We live in an old terraced cottage (about 200 years old I think) and having ripped up some manky old bathroom carpets (toddlers and bathroom carpet = gross!) we've found original pitch pine floorboards under a layer of particle board and they are... lovely. I really want to sand them back and have them as the floor in there...instead of putting down new engineered boards (not to mention would be cheaper with some DIY effort) but I've heard that real wood floors are a bad idea in a bathroom. The question is how bad is bad? If we varnished the hell out of them and were careful about splashing (yeah right with a toddler I hear you say) could we get away with it? TIA xx

Monica101 Sat 08-Nov-14 14:35:11

When I moved into my house it had varnished floor boards in the bathroom. I replaced with tiles after a year.

It is very hard to clean varnished floorboards well, after a while they have a worn, slightly grubby look which is ok for a hall but not so much for a bathroom.

The grooves between the floorboards end up a bit manky with dust and combined with the water that does get absorbed it ends up smelling quite dank so sorry no in my experience it isn't a good idea.

MummytoMog Sat 08-Nov-14 14:51:57

I'd say that properly sealed (varnished and sealed between), with a big bath mat for splashy toddlers, it would be lovely.

mausmaus Sat 08-Nov-14 14:57:43

yes, madness imo.
you need something waterproof.
we have xilema wood effdct tiles in the bathroom. they look the part (and fool people) but are waterproof, suitable for underfloor heating and non-slip.

jamaisjedors Sat 08-Nov-14 15:50:47

We have varnished pine floorboards over the whole of the upstairs including the bathroom. They have been in nearly 20 years and are still fine.

The DS use that bathroom to have a bath in but we wipe up any splashes pretty quickly.

The shower is downstairs and gets more intensive usage.

Disclaimer - I am not a clean freak and not worried about "the worn, grubby look" - actually the DS's bedroom is much more worn from being played on.

Chottie Sat 08-Nov-14 15:52:34

we have wooden floors in all bathrooms and it is not a problem. Splashes are wiped up and the floor is very easy to wipe clean.

mothermirth Sun 09-Nov-14 11:02:26

I have a varnished (old) pine floor in my bathroom and it looks fine. If you decide to go for it, just be aware that leaving sodden bath mats on floorboards will strip the varnish. Like jamaisjedors, I like the 'worn, grubby look' smile

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Sun 09-Nov-14 11:20:20

We had varnished floorboards with claw foot free-standing bath in the family bathroom of the Victorian house we owned when DS was between the ages of two and eight. We had no issues, but we also like (or at least liked at that point!) the aged look!

In addition we had a shower room that was mainly used by DH and guests....this had a tiled floor and I remember one of DS's friends having a little accident in the shower room during a birthday party and me being thankful that it wasn't on the stripped pine floor, lol!

More recently we've had amtico/Karndean in a floorboard pattern, but had more issues with dust on that surface tbh......

MinimalistMommi Sun 09-Nov-14 12:24:19

We have exactly what OP has described and they're sealed and they're fine and look lovely.

burnishedsilver Sun 09-Nov-14 13:29:28

We had painted floorboards. They lasted fine but the grooves between were very grubby. We tiled over them.

Bonnefoi Sun 09-Nov-14 13:37:05

If you have men/boys in the house, I wouldn't. It will stain and smell around the toilet. Speak from my friends bitter experience. confused

lanbro Sun 09-Nov-14 13:43:27

We've got solid oak flooring in our bathroom, not a problem even with a 2yo and 1yo who love to splash!

meadowquark Sun 09-Nov-14 14:26:15

Madness. What is in between the ground floor ceiling and the floorboards? We have downlighters and all the water would drip on the wiring of the ground floor lights. Plus splashes. Plus men's wee wees. Never!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now