Talk

Advanced search

Can we talk about quartz?

(10 Posts)
Gozogozo Sat 08-Nov-14 10:39:11

Can anyone help? I am confused about the quality of the different brands...

Ultimately I need something that will not stain permanently with turmeric or beetroot as both our staples in our family cooking.

I have tried out samples from Compaq, Caesarstone, Silestone, Artico and Samsung. My best come from Compaq and Silestone (only one from each company though, the other samples from those companies were pants unless attacked with cif and elbow power, and I have arthritis sad )

Prices are all bizarre and expensive but I have no sense of how good each brand is per se, as each company claims to be the best and eg silestone, which seems to be highly rated, is not the most expensive.

Finally, if you had any problems with your quartz, were the suppliers/fabricators helpful?

burnishedsilver Sat 08-Nov-14 10:59:22

Like you, I tested lots of samples and ended up with Silestone. I'm very happy with it so far.

Price wise there is huge variation between suppliers for the same product. Get lots of quotes. Consetino (who make Silestone) award 'gold fabricator' status to certain fitters. Its some kind of a business partner arrangement. These fitters will be able to offer a significantly cheaper price. It will say on the fitters website if they have the award. There was over €1000 (I'm in Ireland) difference between the cheapest and the most expensive of my 4 quotes for Silestone. The same applies in the UK because it's a tip I got off MN.

Gozogozo Sat 08-Nov-14 17:38:41

Thank you burnishedsilver, that explains a bit more about the variable pricing!

Any other knowledge?

Gozogozo Mon 10-Nov-14 17:27:38

gentle bump...

wonkylegs Mon 10-Nov-14 17:34:05

I've had cream flecked Silestone for a year now and not managed to stain it despite our family's lack of housekeeping skills.
It hasn't stained with beetroot, redwine, tea or coffee or food colouring & kids paint which are the main culprits for staining mess in our house.

shanghaismog Mon 10-Nov-14 18:24:00

Any advice on suppliers (preferably cheap...) in the London/Surrey/Kent/Sussex area? Would love some white sparkly stuff for our new kitchen but budget is tight...

InsertUsernameHere Mon 10-Nov-14 19:04:45

I used worktops.org for silestone. They are basically the public facing front of sheridan's as far as I could see ( a lot of kitchen companies seem to use Sheridan). There was a mistake in the quote (they had missed a bit) but we came to a compromise re price. Fitters were good.

Gozogozo Mon 10-Nov-14 21:49:49

Thank you! Really good to hear of suppliers who sort things out as well, that's a great recommendation.

I'm leaning towards a flecked silestone, beige fleck on a white background, so glad to hear that yours has stood upto beetroot & paint!

Have you been nervy or relaxed with your quartz? I know thermal shock is rare but I'm worried that I will be too precious about mine - which is NOT the point!

shinysparklythings Mon 10-Nov-14 21:52:06

I have a white sparkly silestone. It's ace. Betroot and tumeric are staples here too and I've had no probs.

It is expensive but so worth it. grin

mandy214 Tue 11-Nov-14 13:59:46

I have Compaq Luna (a very very pale grey) and love it. So far so good. Not particularly careful with it but only have it on the island unit and have gone for good quality laminate (Duropal) in a contrasting design for the worktop.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now