Talk

Advanced search

New central heating upheaval?

(5 Posts)
Betty1980 Fri 07-Nov-14 17:09:45

Has anyone ever had central heating installed? On a scale of "might want to give the duster a flick about" to "re plaster, redecorate, recarpet" how much disruption is it likely to cause?

cheerupandhaveaglassofwine Fri 07-Nov-14 17:32:06

If it is a full system from scratch then it will be carpets and floor boards up in order to get pipe work installed

There should be no redecoration required unless you want to or it is already needed as any good plumber shouldn't cause any damage to existing decoration

Some dust or muck will be created but not too much

I am not a plumber but have just finished installing a wood fired central heating system and managed not to damage any decorating and everything is now filled and working as of an hour ago so the house is finally getting warm

Betty1980 Fri 07-Nov-14 17:52:07

Ooh like the sound of wood fired central heating. is it run from a stove then?

cheerupandhaveaglassofwine Fri 07-Nov-14 18:18:16

Yes a brosley Hercules wood burner with a back boiler

Come in a couple of different sizes if I remember correctly but we have had this one in for a few years, only just got around to plumbing it up properly recently. It was connected to the old radiators but I have just re plumbed a complete new system with new rads over the last couple of weeks and managed to get the last bit of connecting done yesterday

Today was the first time the new rads and plumbing had seen water, very pleased to say no leaks, everything is getting warm now so very pleased with myself

titchypumpkin Sat 08-Nov-14 18:52:43

We had ch installed in a previous house (there was no ch at all). It was a bit disruptive but not as bad as you might think, they don't have to take up all the carpets, just at a couple of points in the room to feed the pipes through. They put them back afterwards though so except for a bit of dust and having to move some furniture it was ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now