Talk

Advanced search

Are thermal blinds as good as heavy thermal curtains?

(6 Posts)
Callmegeoff Fri 07-Nov-14 13:53:20

I need new curtains for a large bay, the curtains we took down were heavy ugly thermal Lined and kept out the worst of the cold but its difficult to get curtains to fit the bay. The ones we took down were one pair to the middle and 2 single curtains to the two side windows. To hide the track there was a pelmet which I hated. I'm wondering whether to use blinds but don't want to be cold.

My ideal would be 1 pair of curtains that pulled to both sides but Dh says a curtain pole couldn't take the weight.

This is the window.

PigletJohn Fri 07-Nov-14 15:03:18

I haven't got any statistics, but because a blind can be made to be a close fit inside the reveal, I would expect it to be a bit better than curtains.

I have seen blinds which have some kind of magnetic fix to hold them close to the frame. Having a pocket of still air between the glass and the blind will provide most of the insulation.

RaisingSteam Sat 08-Nov-14 22:50:06

A single piece iron pole would take the weight, with gentle bends on the corners so the rings slide round nicely. This sort of thing. Avoid anything you bend to shape or that is made of separate straights and elbow pieces - they wouldn't have the strength.

Callmegeoff Sun 09-Nov-14 15:45:51

Thanks very much for replying, I love the Iron pole <off to show Dh>

DayLillie Sun 09-Nov-14 15:56:15

I grew up with a window just like that. Massive floor length curtains, sanderson usually, at least 2.5 widths of fabric. Every so often, the track would come away at the side, even with wooden reinforcement.

My parents bought a pole from John lewis about 15 or so years ago, and have never looked back. I think they even fitted it for them. I don't think it was cheap, but they were ready to pay by then.

jalopy Sun 09-Nov-14 16:25:44

I think thermal lined curtains would be more effective.

You can get bendy connectors for your poles to fit around your window so you only need a pair of curtains. Totally doable. We've done this and although it's pricey, it's worth it. Here are the connectors.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now