Talk

Advanced search

Painters, is it possible for me to specify a colour of satin paint?

(9 Posts)
Mocked Fri 07-Nov-14 12:35:12

I have been looking for a particular colour paint for our internal doors. I definitely want satin rather than gloss (I want it as matt as possible) and I thought I had found the perfect paint - Valspar Fresh Narcissus. However, now I can't see that they do that in satin (having trouble with the website).

Is it possible to get a specially mixed-up satin or is it just the regular matt that you can specify?

Thanks.

IssyStark Fri 07-Nov-14 12:37:51

You can get any of the standard finishes, such as satin, in colour match at most big DIY shops.

Mocked Fri 07-Nov-14 12:41:20

Oo, can you? Thanks so much!

OK, dare I start the debate of which brand of colour mixes would be best for a novice painting (rollering) doors?

PigletJohn Fri 07-Nov-14 15:06:40

Dulux has an enormous range of colours that are widely available. With some exceptions, you can get matt, sink, satin and gloss in the same colour; although the difference in texture means that when they are next to each other, e.g. a radiator on a wall, they don't look quite the same. But if you do a ceiling and a door in the same colour, you will probably not notice it because they are not contiguous.

Mocked Fri 07-Nov-14 15:12:23

Thanks Piglet. I can't find the colour I want in the Dulux range so that's why I was thinking I might need a matcher.

Do you know what the Valspar range are like? Googling general reviews it looks appalling, on here it looks fab! I am very confused....

PigletJohn Fri 07-Nov-14 16:37:24

<shock>

Are you looking at a booklet, or the stand of sample cards in a mixing shop?

Mocked Fri 07-Nov-14 21:53:05

The sample cards... (Why are you shocked)

PigletJohn Fri 07-Nov-14 23:54:18

because there are so many!

they (used to?) have an online tool where you place a sample matcher against a colour you like, photograph it, and upload your digital photo for colour analysis. I have never tried it though.

Mocked Sat 08-Nov-14 09:10:57

Yes I did try it but it is so hard in different lights. They also have a scanner machine at Homebase but ours has been out of order for months... That was why I found Valspar at B&Q.

However, as I have found from painting my door frames, I need quick dry as can't wait for 16 hours+ for the paint to dry on the doors. More problems (no wonder I keep putting it off!)

Thanks for your advice PigletJohn. I always appreciate it smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now