Talk

Advanced search

What would you recommend for skirting and doors?

(9 Posts)
Lelivre Fri 07-Nov-14 08:33:30

The paint we used last time which I think was dulux and low odour (possibly the 'one coat' one) went yellowed very quickly.

I'm after white walls and skirting/doors. So any paint recommendations welcome.

PigletJohn Fri 07-Nov-14 08:58:37

One-coat trades off paint quality against ease of application, so is not very good.

Water-based white paint does not go yellow. It is not as glossy and durable as oil-based but is adequate indoors.

White oil paint does not go yellow outdoors where it can see sunlight.

Early low-VOC paints were bad for yellowing but have since improved.

ContentedSidewinder Fri 07-Nov-14 12:18:54

I've switched to acrylic paint after the gloss went yellow only 18 months after application.

I used Leyland acrylic primer from screwfix (although I do believe you can get it in B&Q) linky The decorators I hired to paint my bannister used this as a primer as it dries fast and then they used oil based gloss because I needed something more hardwearing than water based for that.

Then I did use Leyland gloss also from screwfix but couldn't get any or order any a couple of weeks ago so I went to B&Q and bought their new mixer range that has replaced Dulux. So it is their acrylic water based gloss (can't remember what it is called) but with no colour added so it comes out white.

The thing to remember with acrylic primer is it doesn't coat as well as you might think it would but it dries in a couple of hours so you can get another coat on. So I used 1-2 coats, then with the acrylic top coat stuff you need to decant some into a paint kettle (cheap as chips from screwfix) and water it down slightly. Otherwise it is too thick and you will see drag marks from your brush.

When you take a break, stick the paint brush into a jam jar of water, then dry it on kitchen towel and start again for coat number 2. The Valspar one said it was an primer and top coat in one and it did perfectly coat in 2 coats with no other primer underneath.

Best advice is start somewhere hidden so you can get used to it. I absolutely love it. Not as glossy as gloss but bright white which is what I wanted against a dark grey wall.

Lelivre Fri 07-Nov-14 19:01:58

Piglet and contented, thanks so much for taking the time to reply. The information is helpful. PJ that explains what happened in our last home then; it was a new (lower VOC) oil based one coat and yellowed within a year.

Thanks contented for the information on the new B and Q paint. I was wondering what it was like, good to know about the need for watering down. I actually prefer an eggshell soft sheen look for doors and skirting, I expect they do one or would you say go for the gloss if it is duller?

PigletJohn Fri 07-Nov-14 23:58:46

I find Eggshell gets dirty and is difficult to get really clean, e.g. on doors where it is handled.

Waterbased "gloss" is not very glossy, but is smooth and easier to clean. Maybe get a couple of sample pots.

BaffledSomeMore Sat 08-Nov-14 00:04:03

Satinwood is my tip.

PigletJohn Sat 08-Nov-14 00:06:35

Yes, I like Satinwood too (having tried Eggshell because I thought it was on-trend, and been disappointed). It is my choice for radiators.

I still like oil gloss for doors. I am not on-trend.

Lelivre Sat 08-Nov-14 08:32:16

Ah great, I probably meant satinwood. That is, I meant sheen rather than shine as the 60s skirting a and woodwork isn't something to show off. I'm all for ease of cleaning with two tiny ones.

On the subject of radiators, they aren't too bad but a fee are slightly marked, would you paint the whole thing or touch up. Mostly they are double with a 'grill, vented' type top (not sure of correct description) so fairly modern, well compared to much of the house that is!

PigletJohn Sat 08-Nov-14 09:02:35

Whole thing, as touch ups will not match.

The grilles lift off.

Clean with green pan scourer first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now