loader

Talk

Advanced search

insuring unoccupied house while renovating

(23 Posts)
thisisthequestion Fri 07-Nov-14 08:04:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wolfbasher Fri 07-Nov-14 08:10:13

Our house was unoccupied for 3 months a couple of years ago. Our usual insurer covered it at a very reasonable price with the proviso that someone was going in and checking it every week, which was the case. It's worth talking to your insurer first, especially if you've been with them a while.

thisisthequestion Fri 07-Nov-14 08:13:16

SusannahD Fri 07-Nov-14 08:24:00

Unoccupied insurance is a niche market, speak to your existing provider first. If they do offer cover check what cover they are offering as most general insurers will only offer fire cover if unoccupied and still for a hefty premium. I would contact a insurance broker who will have the contacts to find the correct cover for you. Also check your builder has public liability insurance and the amount is adequate for the value of your property most cover starts at 1 million.

GerbilsAteMyCat Fri 07-Nov-14 08:25:18

We went to an insurance broker who sorted it out. Not the sort of thing you can online sad

thisisthequestion Fri 07-Nov-14 08:34:50

Wolfbasher Fri 07-Nov-14 09:16:46

Ours was with First Direct, OP. They were my bank at the time IIRC and I used them to insure another property.

thisisthequestion Fri 07-Nov-14 09:19:16

GerbilsAteMyCat Fri 07-Nov-14 09:23:21

Abbey
www.abbey-insurance.co.uk
The property was underwritten by Towergate.

FishWithABicycle Fri 07-Nov-14 09:26:22

We used ordinary home insurance and one of us slept there on a camp bed one night a week to ensure it was never classified as unoccupied.

thisisthequestion Fri 07-Nov-14 09:26:32

ChishandFips33 Fri 07-Nov-14 12:33:33

Adrian Flux for us. First policy was purely unoccupied. Renewal was at the time we started work on it. Builder etc needed own insurance and the price was more but we shopped around and went back and they beat the competitor so we stayed with them. Can't fault them so far

thisisthequestion Fri 07-Nov-14 15:20:02

thisisthequestion Fri 07-Nov-14 15:21:13

FishWithABicycle Fri 07-Nov-14 18:49:22

No for much of it we didn't have water, electricity, heat etc - though to be fair it was summer so heat wasn't an issue, but we treated it as if it was camping. Given that we are capable of managing without all these things in a tent in the middle of nowhere, a house that isn't in the middle of nowhere was a step up in luxury by comparison. (it was ever so nice when we stopped having to use the travel johns because we had a real flushing loo at last though!)

InsertUsernameHere Fri 07-Nov-14 19:27:21

We used rennovation plan insurance. (Online) Read the t and c's. A few other policies had v strict terms such as having no boarded up windows or doors. Also limits on the timescale and limits on the value of the work or has many exclusions. It was all quite tedious.

InsertUsernameHere Fri 07-Nov-14 19:29:00

Ps - absolutely asked to see builders insurance policies! Your insurance will be invalid if they aren't covered.

SASASI Fri 07-Nov-14 23:09:22

Doing same. Insurance is with Abbey Bond lovis.
Covered for anybody working at property etc
I need to advise them when rennovations begin (at moment has roof, walls windows doors etc so 'secure') as then insurance will need to be for me ie currently covered for 100k & will need to up this accordingly at an additional premium.

Was quite difficult to get! Ours isn't a rennivation policy it's more a landlord unoccupied policy but when we are moving in we can swap it to a standard policy.

SASASI Fri 07-Nov-14 23:11:00

Sorry for typos!

ChishandFips33 Fri 07-Nov-14 23:43:52

They wanted to know stage we were currently at, how much we'd spent so far and had left to spend on it etc so I guess renovation - they weren't insuring the workmen though, or damage caused by them. We'd have to claim from their insurance

woollyjumpers Mon 10-Nov-14 07:51:21

JugglingChaotically Mon 10-Nov-14 08:12:46

If still looking we used bluefin brokers who were excellent. (Had used them before for cover outside the normal).
Policy with Vasek I think.

JugglingChaotically Mon 10-Nov-14 08:14:15

Just checked. Policy is with Plum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now