Talk

Advanced search

Anyone used the Ikea kitchen planning at home service?

(9 Posts)
mashpot Thu 06-Nov-14 14:15:43

I know roughly want I want in my new kitchen but I want someone else to do all the hard work for me! I saw that Ikea now do a planning service where someone will visit your home to measure up and talk through ideas, has anyone used this service? Any good? Any thoughts?

www.ikea.com/ms/en_GB/service-offer/kitchen-planning/index.html

scrimper Fri 07-Nov-14 04:03:57

Sorry I can't help but I would like to know this too smile so following this thread.

hopefulpuffin Fri 07-Nov-14 04:59:02

I'm in the US but I assume it's the same service.

We had them come in to do it all & used their approved contractor because we were having a bunch of additional stuff done too that wasn't IKEA.

It took the IKEA folks about an hour to measure and confirm what we wanted. Just make sure when you go into actually order your things, you verify what's getting ordered and delivered.

Even using their delivery service& contractor there were stills bunch of stuff that didn't arrive and had to be chased down. Challenging since they were discontinuing the cabinet finish we selected.

In the end it was worth it and everything is holding up very well.

Good luck!

whitechocolatestars Fri 07-Nov-14 05:12:54

I'm interested too, also interested in how the final price and finish compared to other kitchen installations in same bracket (eg B&Q)?

PlasticPinkFlamingo Fri 07-Nov-14 07:17:27

We used them. It was worthwhile as our kitchen has a funny shape and I couldn't work the Ikea planning app properly. The guy made a couple of small mistakes which were fixed in store.

We've not had the kitchen fitted yet but hopefully it will all come together.

We're not using the Ikea installers as their price was eye watering.

mashpot Sat 08-Nov-14 21:30:48

Thanks. Pink did you gave to specify which exact cupboard/unit you wanted where or could you tell him roughly what you wanted and he worked out the best configuration for you?

So then you took his plan into store and sat down and did the order with another member of staff?

I've never done a kitchen before and just want to get my head around it all, thanks for the help.

whitechoc a few family members, who did a lot more research than me!, went for Ikea kitchens and they've been really pleased with them and 5+ years on they still look good.

hopefulpuffin Sat 08-Nov-14 23:16:52

That's pretty much what we did.

Went to Ikea to see what colors/drawer fronts we wanted and get ideas. Had the catalog to see what options there were.

Went home to decide what was a necessity and where we wanted stuff - this was fairly easy since we weren't changing the footprint of the cabinets. But we did debate about having banquette seating. Ultimately opted for more pantry space.

Had the guy in who took what we wanted and made it work with Ikea's stock.

He printed out a list of things we'd need to order.

Then we went to Ikea and ordered it.

The actual ordering was NOT a quick process and I'd recommend going at a slow time.

We also had a new guy who didn't know exactly what he was doing.

About a week later the delivery service dropped it all off.

PlasticPinkFlamingo Sun 09-Nov-14 08:20:50

We told him where we wanted the appliances to go and that we wanted cabinets to the ceiling. He then worked out what was possible. That was the bit that I don't think we could have done. Our layout is awkward so we wouldn't have known that cupboards could be cut down, etc.

We then had to go into store and get the plan double checked and make some minor adjustments as he'd put on a couple of integrated appliances and we wanted free standing.

I then ordered everything online which was slow but much better than trekking into the store again.

mashpot Sun 09-Nov-14 18:44:13

Fabulous, that's really helpful thank you. I shall put the call in in the morning. We want cabinets to the ceiling too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now