Talk

Advanced search

Ceiling void between ground floor & first floor

(4 Posts)
Gozogozo Thu 06-Nov-14 14:11:48

Hi
In the process of replacing lathe and plaster ceilings, I noticed that there were huge bolts of a yellowish heavy cotton wool stuffed between random areas of the ceiling void - I say random as they didn't correlate to anything obvious.

The builder was rather scornful about their presence and they did look a bit pointless, but got me thinking; we are going from carpeted upstairs to vinyl over ply over floorboards.

Should I ask the builder to put in any insulation for warmth and keeping noise contained a bit, and if so, any particular type?

He doesn't think that we should - is trying to save me money and genuinely doesn't think we need it.
I need a second opinion before it's too late... smile
Thank you!

Gozogozo Thu 06-Nov-14 22:09:52

gentle bump...

Tearsofthemushroom Thu 06-Nov-14 22:14:26

We put in insulation when our ceiling wes pulled down. If you have down lighters you need to put space around them. It has made a big difference to the temperature in our lounge!

PigletJohn Thu 06-Nov-14 23:08:02

It will be yellow fibreglass insulation.

Not really any point in heat insulation between two heated rooms.

If you want to muffle noise, two layers of plasterboard plus skim, and dense mineral wool batts in the void (they are heavier than loft insulation). Avoid holes in the ceiling e.g. for downlighters.

An L&P ceiling is thick and heavy, so a single layer of plasterboard will be nowhere near as good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now