Talk

Advanced search

Is it possible to replace a radiator with a fireplace in a modern flat?

(9 Posts)
Linguaphile Thu 06-Nov-14 13:56:52

I hate our radiator--it's ugly and takes up loads of space in our sitting room--but the problem is that we live in a first floor of a modern flat and can't do much in terms of actually installing something real like a wood burner that would require going outside. I've always loved fireplaces, and the positioning of our radiator would be ideal for a fireplace... DH thinks it is a ridiculous idea to replace a perfectly serviceable radiator with a fireplace that obviously isn't real (no chimney breast, you see).

Essentially, I'm wondering:

1. Is he right? Am I being utterly ridiculous? A radiator cover just isn't the same as having a nice homely fire--faux or otherwise--burning merrily in the sitting room. sad

and

2. Is it even possible to replace a radiator with a fireplace? How would we need to go about doing it?

poocatcherchampion Thu 06-Nov-14 15:00:29

log burner on an outside wall? why does it have to go where the rad is?

Linguaphile Thu 06-Nov-14 15:24:47

Yes, I did initially want that but I don't think our building will allow it. Want to get rid of the radiator as it's just ugly though obviously still need the heat!

cestlavielife Thu 06-Nov-14 15:27:10

get a designer radiator www.pinterest.com/featureradiator/stainless-steel-radiators/

cestlavielife Thu 06-Nov-14 15:30:57

www.featureradiators.co.uk/Contemporary.htm

sleepyhead Thu 06-Nov-14 15:31:04

You could get an electric fire. They look better than they used to.

Or a flueless gas fire (I know nothing about these though).

PigletJohn Thu 06-Nov-14 21:42:43

Please don't get a flueless gas fire. The fumes and water vapour are released into the room for you to breathe, and to cause condensation and damp.

Although there have been very few deaths in the UK, and they have various safety devices, many gas engineers refuse to work on them.

Bunbaker Thu 06-Nov-14 21:56:27

A log burner in a first floor flat isn't very practical. Where will you store the logs after having lugged them up the stairs?

burnishedsilver Thu 06-Nov-14 22:29:27

Your dh is right.
Replace the rad with a nicer one or put a radiator cover on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now