Talk

Advanced search

Help - temporary repair recommendations for flat roof please

(4 Posts)
Lottie4 Wed 05-Nov-14 14:12:09

We were hoping our flat roof would see us through this winter, as we're hoping to have a proper pitched roof built next year. Flat roof has other ideas and is leaking in one patch. The roof has what I would call a felt roof, and some sort of grey paint has been painted over this at some time. The grey paint is cracking in certain places and is leaking at the worst point.

Can anyone recommend anything we could do ourselves to patch up in the hope it lasts the summer. We've seen some liquids/roof paints and wondered if they're any good. Obviously we don't want to pay for felt roofing which we only need for just 7-8months.

sacbina Wed 05-Nov-14 15:05:25

we put a double layer of tarp over ours in 2004 intending to get it fixed at some point. 3 tarps later she we've just had roof replaced through building new extension. probably not recommended but did a temporary job very cheaply

MillyMollyMama Wed 05-Nov-14 15:32:51

I think this is quite a big problem and not a quick fix. The waterproof "paint" is no longer doing a job and water will be getting into the ceiling joists below. Who knows what amount of damp is under the felt roof. You may not need just a new roof at the end of this. Can you not get the roof done now? I really would not wait when it is in such bad condition. Any money you spend will be down the drain. The tarpaulin is the cheapest but not guaranteed to keep out driving rain.

Lottie4 Thu 06-Nov-14 10:38:00

Thanks for your replies. We had a builder in the summer to do some work and he said should apply for permission with the Council, so there needs to be a delay before we can officially go ahead. Also, all tradesmen are extremely busy in this area and you're looking at a two month wait easily so anything we can do to help ourselves is worth trying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now