Talk

Advanced search

Bathroom - fully tiled ie all walls & floor or half tiled, paint & vinyl floor?

(3 Posts)
magimedi Wed 05-Nov-14 10:24:53

In the new year I'm going to be redoing our en suite. It is approx 2 x 3M & will have a shower, loo & basin in it .

At the moment the shower enclosure is tiled, as is round the sink & the floor is vinyl.

I am thinking of totally tiling the room including the floor as I reckon it would be far easier to clean ( v splashy DH for one thing) & would look better.

But I am worried that it could look too cold & public toilet-y.

Any opinions gratefully received.

PigletJohn Wed 05-Nov-14 11:24:20

I rather like vinyl on the floor, it is foot-friendly and easy to swab down. Unlike tiles there is no grout to get dirty. If it is upstairs people will not be trampling grit into it. You will probably not slip over even if it is wet.

You can have a bead of silicone run round the edges to slow down water getting down the crack.

It is relatively easy and inexpensive to replace.

Unless the subfloor is very smooth and flat, it is best laid over WBP ply (it does not need to be thick, even 3mm will do)

I prefer the floor laid first, then the WC put down. No cracks and gaps. A plumber can lift and replace a WC or basin very quickly.

BBear Wed 05-Nov-14 12:28:37

Please don't tile ALL the walls/ceiling. The amount of condensation created after hot showers means you will need a monster extractor fan - my former boss had this problem. There is nowhere for the humidity to go (plaster walls absorb more than you imagine then dry out) the bathroom was permanently wet - and tiles slippery. I had to fix the problem w a new expensive extractor fan that was powerful AND quiet as it had to overrun for over 20 mins after the light went out (humidistat). I also had to shave off the bottom of the door so the extractor could 'pull' air into the room.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now