Talk

Advanced search

do we need a new electricity meter?

(11 Posts)
mausmaus Tue 04-Nov-14 15:45:53

a company left a card 'we came to replace your meter'

we had no communication from our supplier.

the supplier is useless is not very helpful. meter company now pestering (on phone) to make an appointment to change the meter.

do I need to? where can I find out it really needs replacing?

wowfudge Tue 04-Nov-14 16:17:15

The meter is linked to the supply and will be the property of the supplier so whether you need a new one is down to them.

Are you sure they haven't been in touch about it? A letter with th bill or an email? It's really not a big job and doesn't take long, but you should be able to get a slot that suits you.

mausmaus Tue 04-Nov-14 16:19:12

nothing in a letter or attached to the bill. (a couple of months ago)
supplier claims to know of nothing.

Dizzywizz Tue 04-Nov-14 16:49:46

It will not necessarily be the supplier, as they don't own the mtr. For eg, I live in portsmouth and I could be supplied by npower, but southern elec own all the meters/pipe work etc so they would be the ones changing it when it's due. Whoever you would call in a power cut would be who own the mtr, it should also say on a sticker by the mtr.

PigletJohn Tue 04-Nov-14 16:58:30

the Distribution Network Owner will be mentioned on your electricity bill. They, or their sub-contractor, are responsible for the meter. I just looked at my bill, and the name and phone no are at the bottom of the first page. Heading is "Electricity" subheading is "Distributor." Next to a segmented box with a "Supply Number" Your layout may be different. Call them and ask.

Your supplier (who sends the bill) ought to know, but the call centre may be in Mumbai and incompetent.

You can get a map of DNOs with their contact details, but looking at your bill will be quicker.

mausmaus Tue 04-Nov-14 18:16:00

thanks!

mausmaus Thu 06-Nov-14 11:29:31

update
it appears to be a scam. a house in the neigbourhood was burgled by an 'engineer' replacing the meter.
neither energy company nor meter company have any record of us being due an updated meter.

PigletJohn Thu 06-Nov-14 12:07:11

hope you have reported it to police

PigletJohn Thu 06-Nov-14 12:07:44

and neighbourhood watch?

mausmaus Thu 06-Nov-14 23:20:21

yes of course!

roneik Thu 06-Nov-14 23:26:35

Up here in the civilized part of the uk northgrin we have our meters in outside cupboards .
There was a case of someone literally stealing a meter to replace a token meter. They did get caught eventually by the meter reader

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now