Talk

Advanced search

Sticking pictures on pitted walls

(12 Posts)
Pyrrhagena Tue 04-Nov-14 15:07:42

Always used to have a door to stick the Dc's pictures to. Just used removable double sided sticky tape and it worked really well. We've moved and there would be a small panel of wall where the DC's toys are kept where we could stick some pictures but the wall is not a smooth finish. It would be stupid to stick sticky tape on that wouldn't it?

How should I go about putting their pictures up? DS is a very reluctant artist, but when he responds really well to seeing what he's done and then wants to do more so I'd like to have somewhere we can display things. That I can take down and replace reasonably regularly.

sacbina Tue 04-Nov-14 15:24:43

blu-tac

AliceDoesntLiveHereAnymore Tue 04-Nov-14 15:28:16

Blu tac, but don't believe the stuff that says it comes off easily and doesn't take part of the wall with it. hmm Although to be fair, my house has spectacularly shitty walls.

PigletJohn Tue 04-Nov-14 15:30:05

do you mean the plaster or the paint is flaky?

Consider hanging a pinboard (or two)

Assuming your home does not have picture rails, drill and plug the wall, and screw in some screw eyes or vine eyes (the shaft needs to be at least an inch and a half long, otherwise it will be relying on the plaster, which will break)

Tap the plasplugs slightly below the surface. It will reduce cracking of the plaster, and makes it easier to fill and decorate the hole when you change your mind.

As the hole and screw-eyes are above head height, they will not catch the eye if you paint them to match the wall. Nylon cord is good for hanging stuff.

If you do have picture rail, your problem is solved.

I like picture rail.

Pyrrhagena Tue 04-Nov-14 16:20:20

No, the paint isn't flaky. It's new. Like this...

Pyrrhagena Tue 04-Nov-14 16:22:58

No picture rails.

They would be at eye height because that part of the room has a sloping ceiling.

I'd considered a pin board, but was hoping for another solution as DH will not be in favour!

Would blu tac not get stuck and be a pain to remove out of the troughs in the surface of the wall? Doesn't it also discolour the wall?

PigletJohn Tue 04-Nov-14 16:47:21

I think that is a textured or foamed vinyl wallcovering.

Pyrrhagena Tue 04-Nov-14 18:41:27

Definitely not textured/foamed vinyl. It's the wall, no covering. It's (I'm unsure of the correct English term) rough cast (plaster?).

PigletJohn Tue 04-Nov-14 19:58:17

What country are you in, and how old is the wall?

Pyrrhagena Tue 04-Nov-14 20:39:13

1year max. New build, completed in August. France.

PigletJohn Tue 04-Nov-14 21:08:37

OK. Have seen similar in Switzerland and Germany. It is not a technique I have seen in the UK. I believe it is sprayed or flicked on, and our nearest equivalent is Tyrolean (which is rougher and used outdoors) or Artex (which is very very unfashionable)

If it is a surface which you repaint from time to time (not a plastic) then you could use globs of blu-tak. It will be hard to remove completely, but at least you can paint over it. If it is plastic, I would have thought tape would do, but it is not a material we use. Be aware that Masking tape, which comes off easily same day, hardens and becomes permanent in time.

Pyrrhagena Wed 05-Nov-14 05:10:02

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now