Talk

Advanced search

Attic Decision - What would you do??

(11 Posts)
Maki79 Tue 04-Nov-14 13:22:59

We have decided to convert our large attic into 2 bedrooms, an en-suite and dressing room.

The stairs will lead up to a landing (no external windows), so will be dark. Immediatley to the right will be the door to the second bedroom and straight ahead ( a few steps) we could either;

a) Go open plan meaning the light from the Velux window from the master bedroom would filter into the landing and staircase too...or
b) have a wall and doorway to the opening of the master bedroom (meaning very little light in the staircase and landing, apart from what we create artificailly).

I feel funny about having the master bedroom 'open' as I feel effectively when guests stay in bedroom 2 they will have to walk through our 'space', even though they won't have to pass our bed or even see it....but equally our options would be limited to getting light into the stairway as the property is grade 2 listed (so applying for permission for another roof light will take forever, and likely to be refused).

Please help...I keep changing my mind, and we can't get on with the job until we decide!!!

yomellamoHelly Tue 04-Nov-14 14:34:25

Glazed wall and glass door. Film on glass for privacy.

burnishedsilver Tue 04-Nov-14 14:46:19

Frosted glass door. Shaker style means theres a huge panel of glass and lots of light.

burnishedsilver Tue 04-Nov-14 14:50:03

Would a solatube work on the landing?

Maki79 Tue 04-Nov-14 16:47:56

I did wonder about Solatube...need to research whether planning permission would be needed for it or not as it would presumably it would show on the roof?

I don't think a glazed wall could work unfortunatley as we are keeping the height of the vaulted ceiling, so it would be HUGE! (and pricey!)

I did see on grand designs the glass that at a flick of a switch becomes opaque, that would be brilliant, but would cost more than we are planning to spend on the whole thing!

Foxbiscuitselection Tue 04-Nov-14 16:51:21

I rang an estate agent yesterday who mentioned that things are still moving at the moment. Surely that's totally wrong? What's the market like in your area?

Foxbiscuitselection Tue 04-Nov-14 16:51:53

Sorry didn't mean to post that there ��

Bert2e Tue 04-Nov-14 16:54:14

Why can't you just put another Velux on the landing?

LIZS Tue 04-Nov-14 16:54:37

I'm not sure you'd be allowed by Buildings Regs to have an open plan room, think you'd need a door . Could you get a velux or lightwell above the landing or maybe fit a glass panel above the doors so light can come through.

PigletJohn Tue 04-Nov-14 17:03:58

Sunpipe or Velux, or just get an opal lighting panel with an energy-saving lamp above it, which will run for at least 50 hours on 14p worth of electricity.

If you get a "daylight" one people will get the impression it is a skylight, shining through obscure glass.

If you could be bothered, you could get a timer to switch from "daylight" to a warm white pendant.

chicaguapa Tue 04-Nov-14 17:41:20

I'd definitely investigate a sun tube on the landing. Do your research though as some are better than others. I think it's about �1,500 to get one installed (ball park figure).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now