Advanced search

LEd Light bulbs and dimmer switch

(7 Posts)
LilMissSunshine9 Tue 04-Nov-14 12:02:55

I have a dimmer switch in the lounge (two switches to control two lights). Last yr I bought LED bulbs to replace old ones in one light (the light fitting takes three bulbs hence why I choose LED bulbs) but they also now have stopped working which I thought was strange as they are supposed to last a lot loonger than a year. I was looking to replace them and read that LED bulbs need to be used on a compatible dimmer switch (might explain why my bulbs didn't last long) and there was a question about is the dimmer trailing edge or leading edge?

How can I tell what my dimmer switch is?

Last night I turnd on my living rooms lights (well the one that has wokring lightbulbs) and there must have been a surge as the safety kicked in and shutdown the circuit.

BlueChampagne Tue 04-Nov-14 13:30:29

I take it you got dimmable LEDs?

LilMissSunshine9 Tue 04-Nov-14 14:09:01

I did for the replacements but now I need to replace the LEDs I bought as they too have 'gone' and homebase no longer stock dimmable leds so I was looking online and then read about the different dimmer switch types and that LEDs need to be matched to the right one.

PigletJohn Tue 04-Nov-14 17:09:12

yes, dimmable LEDs and CFLs do need to be bought with compatible dimmers.

Personally I doubt it is worth the expense, and get a few table lamps for when the ceiling lights are too bright.

A proper electrical supplier will have them


If it costs a lot, consider that in a couple of years they will be obsolete, there will be something better, and it will be hard to get replacements.

LilMissSunshine9 Tue 04-Nov-14 17:17:20

so are you suggesting hat its better to stick to normal dimmable bulbs that run at high watts? Since I have 3 bulbs to one light if each bulb is 12w then I am running one light at 36w compared to LED at 4w being 12w. argh bloddy dimmer switch hate it now

PigletJohn Tue 04-Nov-14 17:22:02

It will depend on the make and model of your dimmer switch.

If you can identify it you can probably get lamps to match, If not I think you will have to start again and store away the manufacturer's literature safely.

I prefer mains-voltage lamps that do not need a transformer, and fit into ordinary BC bulbholders. I am pretty confident that lamps to fit will continue to be available at low prices for many years.

LilMissSunshine9 Tue 04-Nov-14 20:14:41

okie dokes thanks pigletjohn I appreciate your help grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now