Talk

Advanced search

boiler pressure dip and heating failure?

(6 Posts)
inconceivableme Tue 04-Nov-14 08:29:09

We're into our third winter in this house. Every time the temps drop the boiler stops heating. We have British Gas boiler cover as a result and they're on the way out to sort the latest issue which has occured overnight. Topping up the system hasn't worked today.

The boiler is a 6/7 year old Ferroli (not the best, I know!) and was here when we moved in. British Gas diagnosed and fixed a small leak in a downstairs radiator last winter and said that had been causing the pressure dips but this morning again we have no heating.

Any thoughts from anyone who knows about this stuff please? I think BG just like to have the money for the cover!

LordEmsworth Tue 04-Nov-14 09:20:13

I know next to nothing about boilers, but I had a new one put in 3ish years ago. This year & last, I have had to repressurise it; I didn't notice the pressure had dropped until I wanted the heating to come on. Is it possible that you just need to repressurise it (though why BG wouldn't tell you that I can't imagine)

inconceivableme Tue 04-Nov-14 17:04:14

Cancelled BG call out as I topped up the boiler again and it started working. But it's still leaking water... Was worse when I first topped it up but is still dripping a bit. Leaking from a bit on the underneath.... Hmmm. I think parts will be needed. sad

PigletJohn Tue 04-Nov-14 17:26:46

if the boiler itself is leaking, get it mended urgently.

Water on an electrical part will do a lot of expensive damage.

jellycat Tue 04-Nov-14 17:34:48

It could be that your expansion vessel is broken. This happened to our boiler after a few years - the system kept losing pressure via the pressure relief valve but the reason for it was that the expansion bladder was broken. The expansion vessel can be in the boiler itself or it may also be somewhere else, e.g. in the airing cupboard, under a sink etc.

inconceivableme Tue 04-Nov-14 18:51:05

Thanks all. Piglet I'll get onto an engineer asap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now