Talk

Advanced search

Karndean flooring - fitted under toilet? Or around it?

(18 Posts)
CointreauVersial Tue 04-Nov-14 00:40:00

We are having a new bathroom fitted, and have chosen a Karndean floor (vinyl tiles, similar to Amtico). I assumed that, like vinyl, the floor would be the last thing to go in, fitted around toilet/basin, extending just under bath panel etc etc. But one chap we spoke to today said it should go in first, before the toilet/basin go in. If he is right this would seriously mess up our timings. But then I spoke to someone else who said it didn't matter either way. I'm confused - what's best?

MrsSheepiness Tue 04-Nov-14 00:42:26

We had our karndean put in before the bath/basin/toilet but after all the painting and skirting board etc. Sorry if that isn't what you wanted to hear!

CointreauVersial Tue 04-Nov-14 00:48:44

Well, we have no skirting boards as yet (currently floor to ceiling tiles, which are coming off). Would the skirting not go on after the floor?

Hmm.... I think I need to make some phone calls tomorrow....<head explodes>

PigletJohn Tue 04-Nov-14 00:52:14

I very much prefer the flooring to go down first. No unhygenic gaps or cracks that anything can get down.

The speed with which a plumber can take a WC or a basin up, and put it back when the floor is done, will amaze you. It is a trifling job.

PigletJohn Tue 04-Nov-14 00:53:36

skirting preferably after the floor, so it covers the edge. Trim or quadrant is very shoddy.

LuckySaint Tue 04-Nov-14 01:22:10

I had Amtico fitted underneath the loo, sink etc in a previous house. It gives a much neater finish.

SASASI Tue 04-Nov-14 07:47:22

We had ours fitted after (bathroom already in) and it looks fine - fitter put a trim around WC etc in same colour as the "grout" but it would definately be preferable to have the flooring down first.

RaphaellaTheSpanishWaterDog Tue 04-Nov-14 13:17:55

Ours was fitted before - in both our ensuite, with free-standing bath and in the upstairs shower room, which admittedly has a wall-hung loo - definitely think you get a better finish than if fitted afterwards.....

MmeMorrible Tue 04-Nov-14 13:25:14

Agree with others, definitely put the flooring down first, the finish will be much better.

Wheresmychoc Tue 04-Nov-14 15:49:44

So, so wish I'd read this thread before ours was done. We were advised after. That advice was wrong.

Before, a thousand times, ^ before^.

Only1scoop Tue 04-Nov-14 15:50:57

We have it downstairs ....the loo was already fitted

Only1scoop Tue 04-Nov-14 15:51:47

Would imagine fits better if put down prior though....

CointreauVersial Tue 04-Nov-14 16:24:37

Brilliant, thank you all for responses (even if they aren't quite what I wanted to hear). I spoke today to the plumber who is fitting the bathroom, and he seemed quite chilled about the whole thing (but also said flooring should ideally be done first).

We also talked about what goes underneath the Karndean tiles - apparently screwed down boards are needed for a flat surface. Under our current sheet vinyl is some of that ancient 1970s stuck down sheet lino, then floorboards underneath that, and heaven knows what's under the bath, which will be moving, or under the small stud wall which is coming out......argh! Plumber thought it would be simpler to have the whole lot out (floorboards and all) and start again with sheet board (plywood, was it?), to avoid raising the levels too much. He's perfectly happy to board the board the floor himself ("it's just a bit of simple joinery").

I'm getting into a tizz about it because the plumber (who is "lead tradesman" on this job) does not seem as proactive and decisive as the guy we usually use (and who I've known for years). I think he will come good in the end - he certainly worked wonders with our central heating which had defeated several others - but he is very laid back and relaxed. This is possibly a good thing, because I'm getting a tension headache every time I think about it.confused

Only1scoop Tue 04-Nov-14 16:29:32

The Karndean fitter screed our floors first as it has to be completely level. The next day he came back to fit as it has to dry out completely. We have the large planks of wood style all downstairs.... I'm guessing tiles are fitted the same. Not entirely sure though.

Only1scoop Tue 04-Nov-14 16:30:19

Just realised its bathroom on floorboards so ignore me....

noddyholder Tue 04-Nov-14 17:04:46

Fit floor first better finish then sanitary ware and skirtings

VeryPunny Tue 04-Nov-14 17:11:15

Ours went down after but the toilet fitting was such that it could be lifted slightly to get the flooring undernearth it, so the same as floor in first. Sink is wall mounted so no issues there, nothing else on the floor.

SASASI Tue 04-Nov-14 20:23:34

Plywood went under ours, added a day onto fitting but that was it (I didn't realise we needed it until fitter came out to look!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now