Talk

Advanced search

If you sold your house, did you feel emotional? Ever regretted selling?

(10 Posts)
meadowquark Mon 03-Nov-14 22:05:51

I have been in my house for 5 years. Kept thinking of selling since the day I moved in, although this was meant to be forever home. Something never felt quite right - in the hindsight, I had never lived in a period house before, never ending small and big jobs revealed, had to deal and fund all by myself, kept dreaming of a newer house and easier maintenance.

Eventually I have sold subject to contract, have found a house to buy (newer (but not new) built), not beautiful but good space, better area, excellent schools... I should be happy but I feel rather panicky and terrified. I am trying to separate anxiety for moving from other feelings. So much of work has been done in my current house, it feels almost like a family member, a bit ill and old but part of us, and I am truly terrified to leave it behind.

If you sold and moved, what emotions did you deal with? Happy? Excited? Or sad? Was it the right move in the end?

Madcatgirl Mon 03-Nov-14 22:07:19

House 1 we bought as our starter home and sad to see it go, but loved house 2.

Sold house 2, sorry to leave, but excited for house 3.

House 3 hideous, hated it. Happiest day was when I pulled off the drive for the last time.

LizzieMint Mon 03-Nov-14 22:10:43

The only house I've been sad to leave was the last one - again a period property with loads of history (had been part of a workhouse). A complete pain in the bum to heat or do anything in, but we were very very attached to it. Funnily enough, also moved straight into a completely modern, easy to maintain house! Which we are about to leave to move back into a period house which is going to cost us an arm and a leg. But we absolutely fell in love with it. Have never felt attached to the modern house, it's a bit meh.

BaffledSomeMore Mon 03-Nov-14 22:21:12

I've done a fair bit to each of my houses and have been really sad to leave. I miss the loveliness (imo) of them and dislike not being at home.

But as we improve and tailor the house to us it feels like home. And I do enjoy the hunting for the perfect colours, shower, patio slab etc smile

meadowquark Mon 03-Nov-14 22:57:41

You are probaly right in the sense that if I manage this house to make feel like home, then perhaps I will enjoy my input to the new house. The funny thing is that things that annoyed me in the current house started to seem lovely as I have to leave them, e.g. drafty floorboards, unfinished fireplace (I will have none in the new house), old pine doors etc. Then I have to remind myself of shitty neighbours, overlooked patio garden, ongoing rat issue, secondary school issue and the fact that we currently sleep in our living room after giving up my bedroom to aupair... I do need to move. Could have possibly picked another period property nearby, but this 1970s build ticks all boxes. Oh dear. And I never loved period. Until I have to leave it behind.

inconceivableme Tue 04-Nov-14 08:20:49

Yes, was v sad when we sold our flat, in part due to memories but also because we'd not yet bought a house to move into due to chain complications so were moving into rented temporarily while the house search continued.

burnishedsilver Tue 04-Nov-14 08:26:18

Your list of negatives are pretty insurmountable meadow. You're doing the right thing. No amount of period features are going to make up for rats, bad neighbours and a bad school.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 04-Nov-14 08:27:22

I dream of winning an amount on the lottery which will enable us to keep thos flat and buy a more practical family home.

For all its faults its the first home dh and I owned.....its the home we brought both our babies back from hospital to....where we got our firstpets. So so many memories.

If I could squeeze in a third bedroom id mever leave.

carlsonrichards Tue 04-Nov-14 08:30:20

Period houses are money pits. I have no idea why they are so popular. Everyone must have money to burn or enjoy being cold.

fawkesdongle Tue 04-Nov-14 09:30:20

In our last home we couldn't wait to move here.
We had spent so much money and time on it and even for the last few years when we had it how we wanted it, it didn't feel us
it was a lovely house and we were able to sell it straight away with a good profit when this one came up for sale so it served it purpose.
It also had a lovely massive garden but that became a pain to maintain.
We never looked back for one minute.
This is the one we'd been waiting for.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now