Advanced search

Insurance for unoccupied building site house

(16 Posts)
milkwasabadchoice Mon 03-Nov-14 07:38:22

Our house currently being renovated and is therefore unoccupied. The previous insurance firm cancelled the contract when we told them about the works.

I called a few companies but they all said they don't take on new policies like that. And a search on a comparison site turned up zero results!

So help! Please can anyone recommend a company that does do this kind of cover? We need to get this sorted out urgently! Thankyou thankyou

MaryShelley Mon 03-Nov-14 07:39:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MaryShelley Mon 03-Nov-14 07:40:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mrsladybirdface Mon 03-Nov-14 08:28:07

try woodstock brokers

Mitzi50 Mon 03-Nov-14 08:31:31

There are lots of specialist brokers out there - try Adrien Flux or Oasis Property Insurance

milkwasabadchoice Mon 03-Nov-14 09:09:30

thanks everyone. I'll have a proper look this morning - think I just panicked when I got turned down on the phone and when gocompare told me "computer says no"!

Theorientcalf Mon 03-Nov-14 10:43:13

Look on money saving expert website. Few companies will insure empty houses, but certain companies will.

titchypumpkin Mon 03-Nov-14 19:56:23

We used key connect for our renovation this summer

ChishandFips33 Mon 03-Nov-14 20:21:29

We've used Adrian flux for this for over a year.
Renewal was silly due to us being at the 'put things in stage' (as opposed to demolishing!)
I went elsewhere for a price (local company) and they were cheaper than my first policy. Went back to Adrian Flux and they beat it - I have renewed! Can't fault them

Eastwickwitch Mon 03-Nov-14 20:22:30

Key Connect here too. Pricey though.

Apatite1 Mon 03-Nov-14 20:27:30

Argh! You need insurance for this, I never knew? Do you still need insurance if you're not leaving any possessions behind and the whole place is being gutted?


Eastwickwitch Mon 03-Nov-14 20:38:40

Buildings Insurance, if the whole thing burns down. shock

Selks Mon 03-Nov-14 20:44:31

Apatite1, would you be happy to pay your own for complete rebuilding of your house if it burned down or flooded, for example? If the answer is no, insurance is a good idea!

Theorientcalf Mon 03-Nov-14 20:44:49

Yes, buildings insurance. What did you think would happen if there was a fire?

Selks Mon 03-Nov-14 20:45:27

Although saying that, I bet there are a lot of people renovating houses that don't bother with insurance while it's going on..

Greencheese Mon 03-Nov-14 20:58:52

Try towergate, I'm sure they cover unoccupied houses.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: