Advanced search

Monitoring damp

(5 Posts)
fatsatsuma Sat 01-Nov-14 09:31:38

My elderly mother lives in a flat in a sheltered housing complex. There was a flood a few months which didn't directly affect her flat. But it's now smelling damp and feeling humid and I'm concerned that there is dampness somewhere that we haven't tracked down.
I know that there are health implications for people living with damp/mould, especially the elderly. Is there a simple piece of equipment we can get to monitor the air quality/humidity in her flat?
We're trying to encourage her to open the windows etc but she hates a draught so not very keen!

wowfudge Sat 01-Nov-14 10:53:17

Yes - a hygrometer, or humidity meter. We bought one after a burst pipe flooded our cellar. I got it off eBay and it was a German name brand.

If you google average humidity levels you can find out what they should be and see if the levels at your DM's exceed that. She may find a dehumidifier beneficial.

Damp can take a long time to dry out and if it is trapped and can't evaporate easily, that will make it smell.

JugglingChaotically Sat 01-Nov-14 21:02:04

Rent or buy a dehumidifier?
Works a treat. Run on high for a bit then on auto. When it switches itself off you know you are sorted.
Dries washing quickly too!

JugglingChaotically Sat 01-Nov-14 21:03:35

Ours is an ebac. Highly recommend.
House feels so much warmer too.

fatsatsuma Sat 01-Nov-14 21:31:10

Thanks for these replies. I think the humidity meter is what I'm after. If I find that the levels are too high then it sounds like a dehumidifier would be the next step. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: