Advanced search

drains - whats this thing called?

(5 Posts)
poocatcherchampion Fri 31-Oct-14 17:57:54

in our utility room we have what is basically an open drain with the pipe from the sinks and washing machine going into it. there is a plastic grille on it like you have in outside drains to catch leaves and it is about the same size.

our builder reckons it is a diy job: get a rubber bung/seal of some type and fill it with concrete above. it sounds simple but I don't know the name of the product to buy.

can anyone help please?

OiGiveItBack Sat 01-Nov-14 00:11:00

Can you post a photo?

PigletJohn Sat 01-Nov-14 10:43:00

It's a gulley.

Does your builder wear a Stetson?

Either it is an amateur bodge, or the utility room was built or extended over the back yard with no thought of tidying the drain or of meeting building regulations.

I expect it is set in concrete and difficult to dig up.

Not all keen on covering it with concrete.

Ask around for a dependable and experienced local plumber to look at how you can keep the ability to rod it and to allow air admittance. If it is connected to a nearby soil pipe rising to roof level and has a manhole nearby it will not be so bad.

poocatcherchampion Sat 01-Nov-14 16:45:25

ah the builder isn't our plumber grin.
we dont have one of those yet.

the person who built this house was a cowboy. that's a well known fact.

I've been doing some looking around now I know more words. I assume you are suggesting that we leave it so we can access it. that is not normal is it? is it more normal to access drains outside?

PigletJohn Sat 01-Nov-14 18:54:16


you are not now allowed to have open drains inside.

if it is plastic you can probably fit something to it, but a plumber on the spot will probably think of something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now