Talk

Advanced search

Do I need special bathroom paint?

(18 Posts)
Truelymadlysleepy Fri 31-Oct-14 09:03:12

Our builder says no, decorator says yes.
We've got tongue & groove to waist height all the way round, except for the shower which is fully tiled.
Waterproof paint sounds a good idea but the builder thinks it's a waste of money.
Any opinions?

pluCaChange Fri 31-Oct-14 09:29:32

Mould resistant paint as an absolute minimum! shock

ThrowAChickenInTheAir Fri 31-Oct-14 09:38:17

Yes def get proper bathroom paint.

HaveToWearHeels Fri 31-Oct-14 10:02:49

We don't have special bathroom paint and it's fine.

wowfudge Fri 31-Oct-14 10:06:13

For T&G woodwork? Ordinary satinwood, gloss or eggshell will be fine.

bilbodog Fri 31-Oct-14 15:47:29

we have T & G in our victorian cottage and just used standard water based egg shell paint on it. No problem at all. Did the same in the last house and 10 years on still had no problems. Good idea to have extractor fans and windows that can open in good weather th ough for general ventilation.

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Fri 31-Oct-14 15:49:47

We have normal paint but the room is large and well ventilated. I prefer the way normal emulsion looks

PigletJohn Fri 31-Oct-14 15:52:55

you shouldn't use emulsion on woodwork.

Will there be any spashes or water spray on this cladding?

Unless it is MDF, I would treat it like external joinery, and use aluminium primer, oil based undercoat, oil based gloss or satin. That stands up to sun and rain for years.

omama Fri 31-Oct-14 16:20:59

I would use normal satinwood or eggshell for the woodwork, but def use mould resistant paint for any walls that need painting, esp if the ventilation is not that good.

We did ours with normal paint & ended up with the walls & ceiling covered in mould within a couple of months. It was in the paint so couldn't be scrubbed/bleached off & we had to sand it all off before repainting with the mould resistant bathroom paint.

Truelymadlysleepy Fri 31-Oct-14 17:01:02

Thanks for the comments.
The bathroom is quite big; stone floor, UFH, big windows, good extractor as per PJ instructions but the T&G is MDF.
None of the paintwork should get splashed (up stand by the sink with mirror above it) but of course it'll still be steamy.
If we do go for bathroom paint on the walls what are the cons, except cost?

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Fri 31-Oct-14 18:29:02

It's got a bit of a sheen. A bit plasticky looking to me, but looks much better than a mouldy wall!

Wheresmychoc Fri 31-Oct-14 19:34:31

I'm interested in this for our bathroom. Would Little Greene's Intelligent Emulsion be good for the walls? (Ie. still wipeable etc but not too much sheen?)

LilMissSunshine9 Fri 31-Oct-14 21:12:09

my sister painted normal emulsion on her ceiling and now gets mould despite having windows open and a vent on when they shower. So yet use special paint as moisture (steam) will still get on the paint even if it is not directly splashed

Madcats Fri 31-Oct-14 22:58:28

7 years ago when I popped into the paint merchants to pick up my paint, I spotted a little box of something called VC175 that you added to paint to stop mould.

The very nice man at Brewers said it was good and even mixed it into my paint for me.

I've only used it for kitchen and bathroom walls (F&B emulsion) ...we have no mould. It is an new build extension so can't really compare.

I can see Ebay still has some

CointreauVersial Sat 01-Nov-14 13:02:01

I can't see the problem with using bathroom paint on the walls. It does cost a little more, but there is a good range of colours, and it is mould resistant, and is more wipeable than regular emulsion. Why wouldn't you?

Fairylea Sat 01-Nov-14 13:04:31

Definitely use bathroom paint. In a money saving exercise I painted our bathroom in standard b and q matt emulsion and it looks okay but the minute someone has a shower it literally stinks to high heaven - something about the humidity and the paint don't like each other. I'm going to re do it with the proper paint as soon as I can ! It also gets loads of black mould on it whereas it didn't before.

Truelymadlysleepy Sat 01-Nov-14 13:09:12

I'm listening.
Bathroom paint on the walls (as none shiney as possible) but primer and then egg shell on the MDF tongue & groove?

LilMissSunshine9 Sat 01-Nov-14 13:40:55

yup sounds good to me

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now