Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Skirting board profiles

(11 Posts)
Gozogozo Thu 30-Oct-14 16:28:27

Sorry for a very boring thread...

For a mid terrace 190 home which is decorated in a contemporary style, what style would you use for replacement skirtings?

There are hundreds of different profiles & I am clear that I don't want anything with dust trapping possibilities so really square edges or chamfered edges.

What shape do you think would look better? Also what height? The rooms are all about 16'x12'.

PigletJohn Thu 30-Oct-14 18:35:16

"For a mid terrace 190 home"

1900?

thesaurusgirl Thu 30-Oct-14 19:08:30

Lamb's tongue, 5cm for every metre in height, except in the reception rooms where it should be 8cm for every metre.

I have just had this done in my flat, which originally had very mean 1970s skirting, and the change in proportions has really smartened up the room.

thesaurusgirl Thu 30-Oct-14 19:09:52

Sorry, assumed you meant 1900 and not 19-something blush.

Gozogozo Thu 30-Oct-14 19:37:28

Oh! blush Sorry for not proofreading properly.

1930s..

Interesting - the heights are all 2.6m so by your sum, Thesaurusgirl, they should be 130mm high/210mm in living room.

I've seen very different prices for mdf/pine/oak, unsurprisingly, but it throws up even more questions. I'm painting them, so does it matter what wood, as it won't be seen?

PigletJohn Thu 30-Oct-14 19:57:27

I would have thought Ogee profile, about eight inches, pine.

Bigger in hall and reception if it is a grand house.

thesaurusgirl Thu 30-Oct-14 20:14:50

Ignore me Gozo, the building of which my flat is a part dates from about 1900 so I thought you wanted the same style and period.

The proportions would have been different again in the 1930s but I don't know what they'd be blush.

thesaurusgirl Thu 30-Oct-14 20:20:09

I can help you on materials though - I had MDF sprayed with eggshell in the joinery.

Pine is the usual recommendation but it only comes in shorter lengths and there would have been joints in my sitting room. It also needs painting in situ which can be smelly if you want eggshell. So I went for MDF, and I'm thrilled with it. There are no knots so the paint finish is really flat and dense, and a spray finish will hopefully be more hardwearing.

PigletJohn Thu 30-Oct-14 20:21:26

p.s.

London and 1930's is generally styled more "up to date" by at least ten years than provincial towns, or country, except "Stockbroker Tudor". I didn't believe that the first time I heard it, but it's true (and not just of 1930's).

So yours might have had a pencil skirting (and flush doors and metal windows), but I think at least 6", not modern 100mm.

Gozogozo Thu 30-Oct-14 22:47:28

Thank you very much thesaurusgirl & Pigletjohn.

Who knew that there would be so many questions? We started with a tiny extension that opened up the back of the house, plus redecorating throughout & have somehow ended up removing lathe & plaster ceilings, replastering & rewiring entire house, and on it will surely go...

Not at all a grand house BTW, quite an anonymous one with no original features whatsoever!

Gozogozo Thu 30-Oct-14 22:49:50

Eggshell spray painted mdf sounds ideal, especially if not attempted at (black ceiling dust filled) home but in the joinery.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now