Talk

Advanced search

Probate involved in house purchase - realistically, how long is it likely to take?

(7 Posts)
JulietBravoJuliet Thu 30-Oct-14 11:40:07

I put in an offer on a house in June, and it was all going well; no real chain involved, as I'm renting and the people I'm buying off were purchasing the vacant home of an elderly lady who was, I believe, going into residential care. However, the elderly lady then died, so everything ground to a halt whilst probate was applied for.

I got a text off my vendor yesterday saying that probate went through the courts yesterday morning - does anyone have any experience of a similar situation and can remember how long it took from this stage to completion?

I'm not in a mega rush, and I really want the house, as it's just perfect for me, but I had a lovely vision of being in for Christmas - is this likely? I've kind of semi started packing, but not sure how much I can realistically do!

JulietBravoJuliet Thu 30-Oct-14 17:40:30

Anyone?

Spickle Thu 30-Oct-14 18:54:39

If probate has now been granted, there is nothing to stop the transaction going through fairly quickly, but it depends on how much legal work was already done while waiting for the probate and whether there are any unexpected complications likely to crop with surveys/searches/enquiries etc. Hopefully you'll be in before Christmas but it isn't something that would be guaranteed.

JulietBravoJuliet Thu 30-Oct-14 19:03:29

The survey etc. has already been done, so can't foresee any problems. I guess I'd better up the ante with the half hearted sorting/packing then just in case!!

wowfudge Thu 30-Oct-14 19:07:11

Let the vendor know you'd like to complete before Christmas if you haven't already.

JulietBravoJuliet Thu 30-Oct-14 19:27:07

Yes we'd both mentioned wanting to be settled in for Christmas. I'm just very aware that I've got to give at least a months notice on this place and I've got a hell of a lot to sort out! So excited grin

wowfudge Thu 30-Oct-14 23:27:28

See if you can exchange on a set date which fits with when you can then give one month's notice then agree to complete on the day your tenancy ends.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now