Talk

Advanced search

magnetic tape to fix non-closing sliding doors?

(5 Posts)
ilovespaint Wed 29-Oct-14 12:18:17

I've just constructed (ok, I got a flatpack man in) an ikea wardrobe with sliding doors but the doors don't fully close. They sort of spring open a centimetre or so. It's not a big deal but it would look nicer if the doors stayed properly shut.

I've discovered magnetic and steel tape on the internet - does anyone know if it would work for me to put a bit of each tape on the door and frame? The tape seems to be designed for double glazing so I'm not sure if it would work for this or be too strong.

Thanks for any advice or other suggestions!

PigletJohn Wed 29-Oct-14 21:29:38

Are both the door edges fully vertical? They will not stay together otherwise.

There may be up and down adjustment on the wheel carriages to level them.

roneik Wed 29-Oct-14 21:30:55

It's probably the pivoting pins at the end that the doors pivot out from set to far from the side wall of the wardrobe. I would imagine it is either that or the hinges in the centre have been badly fitted . Without seeing a picture it's difficult to say. Are there two doors that fold as they slide? if so as above

ilovespaint Thu 30-Oct-14 09:55:56

They're not folding doors so it's not the hinges. The alignment of the verticals is definitely a bit out though so I think that is the problem, thank you. Unfortunately it's a fairly flimsy wardrobe so I think it just distorts a bit under its own weight.

I'm going to try wedging it up at the front with some extra squares of carpet. I didn't really understand the advice about the wheel carriages adjustment, I'm afraid, but will have a closer look and see if it makes sense on closer inspection!

Do I take it the magnetic tape idea is a bad one?!

PigletJohn Thu 30-Oct-14 11:33:17

I don't suppose the tape would work.

Sliding doors have a track that wheels roll along. The wheels are in a thing that is attached to the door and can usually be adjusted up and down, often with a big nut or screw. It may be at the top and/or the bottom of the door.

If the floor is uneven you might be able to put a plank under the front which will be fairly straight and even.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: