Talk

Advanced search

Minimum depth of back garden for detached house....?

(9 Posts)
Somethingtodo Tue 28-Oct-14 15:00:17

Looking at selling off a plot in my back garden....original house is 70ft wide (with 5 ft to one boundary and 20ft to the other boundary at the sides) and 30 ft deep....back garden looks onto farmland and woods so not overlooked -- what is the minimum depth that I need to leave the original house so as not to compromise any sale in the future?

LaurieFairyCake Tue 28-Oct-14 15:01:53

Are you wanting to build behind?

It's not big enough - 30 feet?

To the side, yes.

Somethingtodo Tue 28-Oct-14 15:40:18

Yes looking to build behind .... the detached existing house is 70ftx30ft....so plot width is 95ft....

SolomanDaisy Tue 28-Oct-14 17:01:26

I'd guess that as the house is quite wide, you could get away with a fairly shallow garden, as it would still be a reasonable size. But you'd have to take into account how overlooked it would be too. What are average garden sizes like in your area?

Preciousbane Tue 28-Oct-14 17:09:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Somethingtodo Tue 28-Oct-14 19:17:38

Yes we are not overlooked at all - so v private. House and plot are wide and front garden is deep and wide (95x30 ft). Houses in my village do have large gardens (0.5 - 2 acres) but large new-builds in other nearby villages have much smaller gardens. If I sold off the back plot - the new build would be to one side and much lower as the land is terraced - so smaller remaining garden of existing house would still have wide open views and not be overlooked. I think I might build on the plot and sell my existing house,

Somethingtodo Tue 04-Nov-14 18:32:49

bump

Somethingtodo Thu 06-Nov-14 14:25:38

Was thinking that 50ft depth would work???? any thoughts?....so:

1) back garden would now be 90ft wide and 50 ft deep - with far reaching wide open views to countryside and not overlooked from any direction.

2) overall plot would be 95 wide x 110 deep for the existing detached house that house that has 70ft x 30 ft footprint - front garden is 30ft x 95ft.

OliviaBenson Fri 07-Nov-14 09:25:59

I think to make any decent money, you'll need to sell it with planning permission. For a small fee you can explore with the planning authority the chances of permission being granted. It's not just about size of garden, it's about overlooking and amenity, access and parking etc. you could also get an architect to advise. Backland development can be very tricky.

I'm afraid I can't really visualise what you describe. It depends on the aspect of the house, ie where the new house faces.

You should also seek the advice of an estate agent to get an idea of value if the new house and how much your house will be devalued with a smaller garden.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now