Talk

Advanced search

Where to move to between Leicester and sheffield?

(44 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Tue 28-Oct-14 10:02:37

We're thinking tentatively of moving in the future.

Dh works in Leicester and currently commutes over an hour to work. Though he only works in the office 3 days a week. I could quite probably get a job in any large hospital fairly easily. Though I'd prefer not to work in Leicester.

We love the Peak District for walking and mountain biking and would like to live in that direction. I'd quite like to work in sheffield hospital over others as I have friends who work there and like it.

Budget would be 300k max for a min 3 bed property. Secondary schools are a big consideration. Its also very important that there's places in the immediate vicinity for nice dog walks, ideally off lead walks. So I think we're thinking rural. But village with facilities rural rather than isolated hamlet.

I think we're leaning to moving more in sheffield direction than Leicester due to it been closer to the Peak District and also because dh only needs to commute 3 days a week. But wouldn't want to be north of sheffield. Maybe somewhere chesterfield area? We like Bakewell though its probably too far west for commuting purposes.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 28-Oct-14 11:37:32

Anyone?

AnnOnymity Tue 28-Oct-14 11:46:52

My immediate thought was Chesterfield, but it would still be quite a long/slow commute to Leicester.

What sort of dog walking do you like? If you want hills, Chesterfiekd and the Peak District would be better. If you like flat terrain then rural Leicestershire would be better. Do you want to be around other dog walkers or (like me!) seek solitude on a walk? The Peak District is heaving with walkers, cyclist and dog walkers on nice weekends, and I find it hard work. We actually leave the dog at home when we walk there.

AnnOnymity Tue 28-Oct-14 11:47:43

Would Nottingham work for you? There's a big hospital there.

AnnOnymity Tue 28-Oct-14 11:51:16

Sorry for the stream of consciousness posts grin but when we moved to this part of the world we did dummy run commutes from Bakewell (where we looked at houses) to Derby and it was painfully slow, even though the actual distance wasn't that far on paper, and ruled it out. Leicester would be further again (40 mins plus from Derby).

FunkyBoldRibena Tue 28-Oct-14 11:54:09

Mansfield.

Just kidding. Don't go to Mansfield.

We are in south derbyshire, you could go for anywhere on the m1 j23 to 28 corridor, which is semi in between both. Some nice villages all along but it depends on what you are looking for.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 28-Oct-14 12:35:39

Yes I've already ruled out Mansfield. grin

I could look for a job at QMC but then we still won't be living near the Peak District. Though closer than we currently are I guess so quicker to get to at weekends. And I prefer sheffield as a city over Nottingham.

I was hoping that a commute down the m1 to Leicester would be quick. Doing a dummy run sounds a good idea. Dh works in oadby so he's even the wrong side of Leicester.

Flatter terrain would be better than hills as I also like road cycling. Maybe living between Nottingham and Leicester would be better. I get a job in Leicester and we travel to the Peak District for walking,etc at weekends. Its takes us about 90 mins at the minute to get to bakewell so any improve,ent on that would be great.

MimiSunshine Tue 28-Oct-14 15:12:14

To be honest. I wouldn't make that move and look to stay working in Leicester.
I've commuted nearly 100mile round trip up & down the M1 to Leicester in the past and it's generally a nightmare, although better if you're going north in the morning and south in the evening.

The other way round is stationary traffic from J23/24 upwards quite often and definitely on Friday nights. J25 is a bottle neck and the number of accidents is insane.

You said he's only office based 3days buts that's a lot more driving than visiting the PD on a weekend.
How about moving more over Lincolnshire way heading up the A46 still lovely countryside.

Sandiacre Tue 28-Oct-14 17:15:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 28-Oct-14 18:05:10

Mimi, were Lincs/notts border near the a46 already.

Looks like sheffield to Leicester commute is out then.

I do think that moving would be a good thing for us, even if closer to Leicester. I want a change of scenery work wise. Dh currently spends most weekends in the Peak District.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 28-Oct-14 18:05:55

QMC seems to have quite a good park and ride which I used the other week. Free parking and free shuttle bus.

FunkyBoldRibena Tue 28-Oct-14 18:13:00

Beaver. Can I just make a suggestion - that you leave it a year. The south of Nottingham is one almighty pair of pants at the moment as they are putting the A453 dualling in, and a huge tram system. Which means all the roads at the moment are a nightmare. I am near to J24 and it is quicker for me to get to Coventry 50 miles away than it is to get into Nottingham 10 miles away.

There are some nice villages in South Derbyshire and it makes it quite easy to get to Leicester/Nottingham but you are close enough to the Peaks to make a quite trip up there at weekends.

AryaUnderfoot Tue 28-Oct-14 18:19:55

I grew op on the Leicestershire/Nottinghamshire border and all my family still live there. BIL commutes to Nottingham University and my Dad used to commute to Leicester (all on A roads rather than motorway). If you want recommendations, I know lots of the villages/towns pretty well.

AryaUnderfoot Tue 28-Oct-14 18:22:32

Do you currently live in the Vale of Beaver by any chance?

VivaLeBeaver Tue 28-Oct-14 18:29:44

Ha ha, no but I reckon I so should move to the Vale of Beaver! grin

I saw loads of tram works when I was in Nottingham last week. We could easily leave it a year, we're in no hurry. Though dd is in year 9 and I wouldn't want to move her in year 10 or 11. And the chances of timing a move between year 11 and year 12 are slim so we might have to wait five years then.

I don't really want to wait 5 years. Dh is in his 50s now and there comes a point where its too late/not worth moving.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 28-Oct-14 18:30:20

Ayra, village recommendations with an idea of commuting times to Nottingham and oadby would be great thanks.

Petallic Tue 28-Oct-14 18:40:20

Do you work shifts? I didn't think the park & ride bus started in time for the 7am starts if you do. Although there are a few local nearby businesses that will rent you a parking space on their forecourt.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 28-Oct-14 18:46:49

Yes, would be shift work. Didnt think of the park and ride not working. Mmmm, there must be other parking at QMC. Though I'm sad not to work at sheffield.

Maybe we ought to stay here for five years. Let dd finish school. Dh can retire and we'll move to sheffield which I love and I'll get a job there. Dh can go paragliding all week.

AnnOnymity Tue 28-Oct-14 18:47:16

Park and ride finishes very early too (8pm?).

AnnOnymity Tue 28-Oct-14 18:49:50

Parking at QMC is horrific.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 28-Oct-14 19:09:11

Maybe I ought to investigate if Derby is a nice hospital to work at....or Chesterfield. I could work at Kings Mill I guess which I hear good things about. I'd rather move first and then find a job as I can always go on the bank for a bit.

Then I'm not tied down to moving in a certain time frame.

MimiSunshine Tue 28-Oct-14 19:11:22

Hmm ok if you're already over towards the A46 then I'd say South Derbyshire could work for you. Melbourne and the smaller villages / hamlets around it are lovely.
Still got the tricky A453 into Notts or A52 to contend with but it won't be forever.

AryaUnderfoot Tue 28-Oct-14 19:12:55

Barrow on Soar, Hoton, Rempstone, Wymeswold and Costock are villages that are convenient between the A60 and A6 - the roads that link Nottingham and Loughborough and Loughborough and Leicester.

East Leake is nice, but is a bigger village. Ut has loads of new housing estates being built and at the planning stage. Alternatively you could look at somewhere like Syston which is convenient for the A46.

I'm not sure about commute times.

KingCrimson Tue 28-Oct-14 19:14:51

I know it's not hilly but there are some pretty villages and lovely countryside in the Charnwood Forest area. And there's a hospital in Loughborough.

BikeRunSki Tue 28-Oct-14 19:15:05

Wirksworth
Cromford
Bakewell

Or wait 5 years and retire to Hope

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now