Talk

Advanced search

Small Bedroom Ideas

(15 Posts)
scrappydappydoo Sun 26-Oct-14 21:42:24

We live in a 4 bed house - 2 doubles and 2 singles. At the moment dd1 (8) has one of the double bedrooms (we have the other) dd2 (6) has the very slightly bigger single rooms and dh uses the other as an office as he works from home. The set up isn't working as its grossly unfair to dd2 as she has very little play space and now wants a desk and a more grown up bedroom.
DH and I were thinking about building a garden office for him, moving the dc into each of the smaller rooms and using the double bedroom as a joint playroom/guest room (MIL stays frequently).

So we now need to redesign and cram a lot into the single rooms - each room preferably needs a bed, wardrobe, drawers, desk, bookshelf and a spare bed for occasional sleepovers (terms of negotiation for both dc with the new set up) The rooms are 2.85x2.4m and 2.65 x 2.2m. To further complicate things dd1 does not want a high sleeper hmm

So to get to the point - can you help with some design ideas? We want something that will last them for a good couple of years and give them the space and storage they need.

Finlaggan Sun 26-Oct-14 21:45:27

Have you looked on Pintrest? Some great ideas there.

scrappydappydoo Sun 26-Oct-14 21:54:45

I have but pinterest ideas of a small room aren't quite small enough grin

Backto505 Sun 26-Oct-14 22:00:48

Have you had a wander around ikea? They have complete bedroom layouts for very small spaces

We've got a high sleeper from aspace. It has a desk and futon that converts to a sleep over bed. I think they do ones with wardrobes too. Could she be converted to the idea with the assurance of so much more room with the bed up high?

scrappydappydoo Sun 26-Oct-14 22:13:20

Oh damm - do I have to go and wander round ikea and eat meatballs and ice cream and buy lots of stuff I don't need grin Good Idea!!

evelynj Sun 26-Oct-14 22:17:12

We have small rooms-ds currently in toddler bed too-I like the idea of expedit-making it into a bedframe-google to see what I mean. Could you fit desks in the spare playroom instead & use a chair bed or ready bed thing for sleepovers?

Got99problems Sun 26-Oct-14 22:20:02

By high sleeper does that mean any height? Mid sleepers fit a desk and chest of drawers under, so only need space for wardrobe and maybe a chairbed for guests?

CerealMom Tue 28-Oct-14 16:03:16

www.flyingbeds.com/14.SmartBeds/Ledo_VerticalBed/index.htm

Inspiration?

twainiac Tue 28-Oct-14 22:20:04

We have the ikea hemnes (?) day bed for DD. The drawers underneath are huge so no need for a chest of drawers and it pulls out to a double for sleepovers. Her room is similar size to yours, I think, and we will be getting a single wardrobe from ikea too - one of the pax range, they are tall so can have two hanging rails inside and a shelf.
It looks like you will have to face the meatballs.....

scrappydappydoo Thu 30-Oct-14 00:06:11

DD has a Hermes bed at the moment as her current room is also our guest room. Sadly because of the position of the door it wouldn't work in new bedroom.
I have no idea what issue with high sleeper is - dd won't say. It's not height as she sleeps on dd2s top bunk when we have guests so still confused.
I love those folding beds but they are mega bucks sad

shebird Sun 02-Nov-14 18:27:59

We had a similar issue with DD2s bedroom being a lot smaller than DD1. The small bedroom is also over the stairs with one of those awkward box things making it difficult to fit everything in. We had a full size single bed custom built to fit over the stairs with 4 drawers underneath. It is a bit higher than a regular bed but only a small step up. We had shelving and storage built around and over the bed and this left plenty room for a desk and small wardrobe. We had crazy quotes from well known national bedreom fitter but then used their design plan to get a local fitter to do the same for a fraction of the cost.

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 02-Nov-14 19:00:26

My three DC all have rooms approx 8ft x 6ft. They're all very different in layout.

DD (3) has a 5ft bed with a small table built to the end of the room along the end width. She can sit on the end of her bed at the table or on a little chair at the end (or a friend/ one of her brothers can sit there). Behind the bed she has a tree painted on the wall and the branches have slim shelves with ledges fixed to them where she has books and soft toys.

Along side the head of the bed to the door she has a 5x1 expedit then a 2x2 then a 5x1. Between the two 5x1's she has a clothes rail so clothes hang above her 2x2 in the middle. Above the clothes rail we're intending to fit a shelf to put her toys that are too big for the expedit squares. So she has 14 expedit squares plus a hanging rail for clothes, nappies, toys and books. We use five for clothes, one for nappies and the rest for toys. Under her bed she has a big pull out drawer for dolls stuff. The advantage of the expedits for storage is that they don't eat significantly into the room (about half conventional wardrobe depth) so theres plenty of floor space for play (considering its a small room)

DS2 (8) has a four drawer malm unit with on wall 2x2 expedit above then a micke desk that fits to the end wall with a double display shelf over for his model collections. He has a strip of floor down the middle of the room and then a sofa with very high bed over on the other side. The sofa is single bed size so doubles up as a guest bed, but is heavily pillowed to make it more comfy. (Less deep) to use as a sofa. The bed is custom built to give a comfy height sofa. (Two drawer full depth storage under for toys) and very high bed to create good head room clearence on the sofa. The ladder to access the bed is end wall mounted so it doesn't eat into the room space.

DS1 (11) has a narrower bed 80cm wide with a stuva wardrobe at the end. Over the bed he has a high wall mounted 5x1 expedit with storage boxes within and storage boxes ontop upto the ceiling. He stands on his bed to access these and its clear of adult head height when sitting on his bed. Again he has a narrow strip in the middle of the room then a very long thin besta burs (ikea again) desk with a stuva storage bench under and double display shelf above.

All three rooms work really well. We downsized from a house over double the size of the one we're in and its taken a lot of time to carefully design in the things we all need. Its been well worth customising off the shelf things to shoehorn everything in.

Lots of little things can make a big difference to the space you have available. Rehanging doors is worth considering if it gives you more layout options. I tend to sit with a sketch pad and draw out lots of different options until something works.

I spent a lot of time sailing as a child so i tend to think about boat layouts and use of space when i'm designing but caravan images are more readily available and if you look at just how much can be fitted into a caravan it can inspire some great ideas.

Those fold up beds are great, but as you say expensive. What about a set of narrow shelves with a fold down door that doubles as a desk to create floor space whilst having a fixed bed?

PrimalLass Mon 03-Nov-14 12:43:40

spare bed for occasional sleepovers

Could they not sleep in the playroom for sleepovers?

PrimalLass Mon 03-Nov-14 12:47:35

Could they not sleep in the playroom for sleepovers?

Sorry, am quoting myself but I'd put the Hemnes bed you have into the playroom and use that pulled out for guests and sleepovers, and folded away as a sofa.

Then try and persuade the girls to have Ikea Kura beds that they can customise.

uk.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=kura&term_meta%5B%5D=kura%7Ctyped

scrappydappydoo Mon 03-Nov-14 22:55:45

Well at the moment we couldn't have family stay. So (for example) if we were hosting Xmas for dhs family. Sil is family of 3 so could share playroom and mil be in one small bedroom with dds sharing other one. Or if we wanted dbs family to visit it would be db & sil in playroom with 2 dn sharing with dds. There is no extra sleeping room downstairs as it is all open plan.so we're trying to cover all scenarios.
Thanks for all suggestions. I have a piece of paper with it all marked to scale and keep playing with bits of paper moving 'furniture' about. So will try some of the above out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now