Talk

Advanced search

Woodburning stove help - which to avoid?

(24 Posts)
ArtemisCake Thu 23-Oct-14 16:11:50

Hello,

We're getting a woodburning stove, and like the look of the Yeoman CL8 here or the Stovax View 8 here. Does anyone have either of these stoves, and what do you think? Reviews seem to be mixed and I'm wondering whether to go for a scandinavian brand as it's worth paying more for something reliable? Any recommendations or ones to avoid? Thank you wise stove owners.

MairzyDoats Thu 23-Oct-14 16:46:11

Not a clue but the Stovax looks like a television!

MairzyDoats Thu 23-Oct-14 16:47:46

Watching with interest though as I'm planning on installing one in our new extension next year. I like the look of the enamelled stove-like ones personally.

magicgirl74 Thu 23-Oct-14 16:51:10

A few people I know have clearview stoves and are very happy with them and they get good reviews when I get round to putting a wood burning stove in that's the one I would choose xx

schilke Thu 23-Oct-14 17:02:39

We have stovax view 5. It's great. I don't like fussy success so was after a contemporary one. We live in an 19th century house with high ceilings and our front door opens into the sitting room. The view 5 puts out a lot of heat! Size wise our room was borderline for a view 8, but we were advised to size down rather than up - so glad we did or else we'd boil grin I thought Stovax was a good brand - it was certainly pricey!

schilke Thu 23-Oct-14 17:03:12

That should say fussy stoves, not success!

Greencheese Thu 23-Oct-14 18:57:37

I went to a stove shop yesterday and was quite taken by the Carron stoves, they looked lovely and the women really rated them.

ArtemisCake Thu 23-Oct-14 19:54:00

It does look a bit like a tv smile, I just don't like twiddly bits on the more old fashioned stoves. I also like this jotul one and this stuv one, what do you think of those?

puffylovett Sun 26-Oct-14 22:24:15

No idea which to avoid, but I can highly recommend the Charnwood C series enamelled stoves if you like the simple
Modern look. Ours has been in 2 years and we love it

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sun 26-Oct-14 22:32:38

I think they all do pretty much the same job but get some clearview glass in it, it makes it so much easier to keep clean so you can see all those lovely flames.

DrElizabethPlimpton Sun 26-Oct-14 22:39:44

We have a couple of Morso stoves and very happy with them. They are modern simple designs that look very good in our rather old property.

Bicnod Sun 26-Oct-14 22:43:05

I second Charnwood stoves. And you really don't need to pay out extra for Clearview glass, just make sure you burn seasoned logs.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Sun 26-Oct-14 22:46:11

Really? We haven't got clearview in ours but DFil has in his and he doesn't need to clean his like we do ours. And we only have well seasoned wood.

brittanyfairies Sun 26-Oct-14 22:53:30

I've just had a stovax installed in the last couple of weeks. It's very good and certainly chucks out the heat. I'm very happy with it.

GormlessNormTheGardenGnome Sun 26-Oct-14 23:05:09

We've got this one: www.chillipenguin.co.uk/our-products/stove-range/hungry-penguin/ Daft name, but it's a fantastic stove. It looks great too, no stupid fussy twiddly bits to clean. We had a Clearview Pioneer in our old house which was fine too, but it suited the older cottage far more than it would the 50s semi that we're in now.

GrumpySwivelHead Mon 27-Oct-14 22:23:28

We installed the Stovax 5 cassette into where an open fireplace used to be. I've been really impressed so far and I like it's sleek look. The fire is extremely controllable and I like th recirc of the hit air to keep the glass clean.

ArtemisCake Tue 28-Oct-14 23:52:39

I love the Chilli Penguin Stove, do you have it in the living room as my DH thinks those type of stoves look like they should be in a kitchen?

Marmitelover55 Wed 29-Oct-14 13:27:16

We have a clearview vision (I think it's called) and its fab.

HoundPaws Wed 29-Oct-14 19:16:55

Villager are good. Make sure they arent cheap ones made in China

Hughfearnley Thu 30-Oct-14 12:14:24

We've had both a Caron and now a Morsi. Very very happy with both. The Morsi seems ridiculously efficient. (2 logs per evening!!!)

ArtemisCake Sun 02-Nov-14 17:18:10

Pretty sure we're now going for a Westfire, anyone had one of those?

Monica101 Sun 02-Nov-14 18:06:48

I also like the Westfire one, am choosing between that and the yeoman CL5 or the eco ideal 3. So hard to choose, especially as i'm choosing out of magazines!

whats4teamum Sun 02-Nov-14 20:59:59

My friend has a clearview and her glass is filthy.

ArtemisCake Sun 02-Nov-14 23:30:15

I found this review site helpful Monica.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now