Talk

Advanced search

House coated in plasticky weatherproofing material- has anyone successfully removed this stuff?

(5 Posts)
legitsuperhero Tue 14-Oct-14 19:45:08

It's an Edwardian terrace and when I viewed the house originally over a year ago I assumed it was painted pebble dash. The survey just describes it as "render".

It's gradually dawned on me that it's actually some kind of composite weather proofing cladding and it's horrible. Aside from the fact it was clearly applied in a very slapdash way (they just went straight over the sky dish cables and the hinges on the garden gate for example hmm ) it is starting to peel and smells really quite strongly of plastic. Weirdly the smell seems worse when it rains.

Lots of things about it bother me, the smell, whether it is giving off toxic fumes, if it's preventing the house from breathing and damaging the bricks underneath etc

However I am worried that by removing it more damage will be done. Has anyone had any experience with this kind of product? I've no idea how much it would cost to remove, I expect loadsshock

legitsuperhero Wed 15-Oct-14 19:30:37

bump?

Blackeyez09 Wed 15-Oct-14 20:16:54

I don't know sounds tricky hopefully piglet john will be along soon

legitsuperhero Wed 15-Oct-14 21:20:47

It's driving me crackers in this wet weather, I can smell it from the front gate! That can't be right surely? shock

PigletJohn Sun 09-Nov-14 16:14:48

eh?

I think it might be a sprayed-on coating, especially if it is on the downpipes and windowsills, or is speckled.

I don't know how to get it off, short of chipping off the render. I doubt it will be exuding fumes much if it is more than a year old.

It might have been applied to cover up cracked or patched pebbledash. Have a look at the other houses in the street and decide what you want yours to look like. When you see builders re-rendering or pebbledashing a house, take their card and write the house address on it. A few months or more later, ask the homeowner what they think of the work. Some plasterers also do rendering, if they are fit enough to run up and down ladders, but some think it is beneath their dignity. It is heavier work than plastering.

Pebbledash usually lasts about 50 years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now