Talk

Advanced search

British gas condemned our boiler and we need new one - not sure what to do or to believe

(25 Posts)
Elizabeth22 Mon 29-Sep-14 22:36:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

QuintessentiallyQS Mon 29-Sep-14 22:39:08

Has he actually condemned, ie disconnected and put a warning label on it, or just told you it is condemned? Can you get a second opinion?

QuintessentiallyQS Mon 29-Sep-14 22:39:42

Sorry just saw you said he disconnected. BG engineers are terrible for wanting to sell boilers.

PagingDrFaggot Mon 29-Sep-14 22:41:08

Get an independent gas safe engineer to look before going ahead with anything from BG. They helpfully tried to relieve my grandparents of 4k for a boiler which it transpired was not needed , apparently the parts for theirs was also "obsolete " and it was dangerous . It wasn't btw it was complete bollocks

evertonmint Mon 29-Sep-14 22:45:32

For a potential expenditure this big, if be getting 3 independent quotes/opinions before I did anything else and I'd be v unlikely to go with BG.

As a guide, if it helps, our new boiler for a detached 5 bed house cost about £3.5k 3 years ago.

sillymillyb Mon 29-Sep-14 22:56:41

Oooh, ours was condemned too. We got another gas safety man out to give us a quote for a new boiler, and he basically, er, uncondemned the old one and said bg was shit!

Are you on the price plan thingy? I get the impression it's a bit of a swizz for that.

MiddletonPink Tue 30-Sep-14 09:44:34

Get at least 3 independent quotes. Maybe look for someone local.

Don't just go with BG.

AgathaF Tue 30-Sep-14 09:54:32

They did the same to us some years ago. We took out one of their maintenance contracts.They turned up to give us our first service of the contract, said the boiler was condemned, disconnected it and stuck a warning tape over it. Then quoted us something like £3k for a new boiler.

We rang a local corgi reg gas man who serviced it, tested it, and said it was fine, so uncondemned it. He said BG do this regualrly.

Definitely worth getting some local, gas registered person to check it over. They may well get it going again, or if not, they will almost definitely quote you far less to replace it.

Elizabeth22 Tue 30-Sep-14 12:08:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LineRunner Tue 30-Sep-14 12:10:13

This is why I wouldn't let British Gas anywhere near my boiler.

I agree you should get a qualified person to check it over.

sherbetpips Tue 30-Sep-14 12:39:55

They are very good at no pointing out what needs to be done to 'uncondemn' it. Ours got condemned a few times but a little repair hear and there always kept it on contract with them. If it turns out it is buggered do not under any circumstances get it fitted by them. the boiler itself costs about �600 - the rest is fitting and there massive mark up. Get a local recommended gas fitter to do it. Way cheaper.

whataboutbob Tue 30-Sep-14 13:59:58

Uh Oh. Recently got a new boiler after BG put a big sign with an exclamation mark next to the old one. It was over 4K! But in a rental property and the thought of carbon monoxide poisoned tenants was just too scary.
I think I need to find a good local plumber.

ChippingInLatteLover Tue 30-Sep-14 14:25:03

I would trust them as far as I could throw them, with one arm.

Definitely get someone else in.

LineRunner Tue 30-Sep-14 14:36:26

And get a carbon monoxide detector for peace of mind. They are about three quid upwards.

But don't get sucked into the BG spiral.

ChippingInLatteLover Tue 30-Sep-14 14:41:49

He said it was leaking carbon monoxide for sure. However, didn't do a smoke test and couldn't answer why the carbon monoxide alarm positioned above the boiler hasn't picked up anything

LR - ^^ from the OP. Easy to miss I know smile

fortifiedwithtea Tue 30-Sep-14 14:59:55

We moved in to our house 10 tears ago with exactly the same boiler as OP. Right from the word go BG were badgering us to change boiler saying how inefficient it was but we just didn't have the money to replace it.

Then they started with the tact of telling us parts are obsolete and if they go we would be stuck.

Finally about 2 1/2 years ago at servicing time engineer said boiler was leaking carbon monoxide within the system. Made it sound like we were on a time bomb. At that point we got an independent engineer to fit a new combi boiler for a lot less than BG quoted.

I'm glad we did, our heating bill has gone down dramatically. It can't be far off paying for itself.

littlemonster Tue 30-Sep-14 15:02:52

A similar thing happened with us and the boiler was only 2 years old. Boiler was shut down because the BG gas monitor went off. He said he couldn't say why it had gone off as there were no other signs of gas or any problem. However as he didn't carry specific carbon monoxide detectors he couldn't say that there wasn't carbon monoxide! We went out and bought 3 cheap carbon monoxide alarms, none went off so we called another plumber who said there was no problem at all and reconnected it. Was massive pain in February with a newborn and no heat or hot water.

I wouldn't bother with BG at all tbh but it does sound like you need to get the flue sorted and can probably get it does for much less by a reputable plumber (some plumbers work independently and for BG and the price for the same work is an eye opener).

Celeriacacaca Tue 30-Sep-14 20:11:34

Ditto what others have said about BG. For years, they "threatened" us that our boiler would fail the next annual service as parts were obsolete. It never did but died of natural causes last year!

I'd never get them involved in installing a new boiler after having them to quote. The salesman, who barely looked up from his laptop, told all me all sorts of rubbish about not being able to have the same flue we have now and that they'd need to build a box on top of our roof to accommodate the new one, that the boiler he recommended would fit in the space (it wouldn't, even when I showed him with a tape measure). Their quote was £1,800 more than the other three quotes I got from independent plumbers who specified a much superior boiler. I just felt BG were making up a price.

Charles2014 Tue 09-Dec-14 14:16:39

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DanaBarrett Tue 09-Dec-14 16:24:19

My mums boiler was condemned by BG years ago. They quoted £4k and ten days. My now FIL is a plumber who contracts for BG he did it for £2k and in three days.... I doubt he cut any corners and he used the same fittings!

RhubarbAndMustard Tue 09-Dec-14 16:28:33

We had a bad experience with BG too. The first engineer was a contractor, didn't have a clue what he was talking about and eventually gave us a very wrong diagnosis.

To be fair, the next engineer was very good. I think you've had a bad one and would definitely get other quotes/checks done and then complain, which is what we did.

You expect more from BG. hmm

OftheTwilighttheDarkness Tue 09-Dec-14 16:34:01

Definitely get a second opinion, it is quite possible that it could be fixed. If not 4k seems excessive for just a boiler. I was 4.6k for new combi boiler moved to different location, removal of hot water tank and 8 new radiators. Definitely get at least 3 quotes.

feetheart Tue 09-Dec-14 16:35:16

Where are you OP? I'm sure some of us could recommend a good plumber - I can for Bedfordshire, in fact I can recommend one for N Beds and 1 for S Beds. Have used them both for boiler fittings/services and they are great (and much less than £4000!)

Haushinka Tue 09-Dec-14 16:42:44

When BG say parts are obsolete, I reckon they mean their parts warehouse doesn't stock them. Another gas engineer might know where to track them down.

apotatoprintinapeartree Tue 09-Dec-14 17:07:05

Please make sure the person you get to look at your boiler is Corgi registered and approved. A plumber can do this if they are qualified to do so.

I know BG do this a lot, but in fairness some of the boilers they condemn will be done in all honesty.

You need to also look at efficiency a new boiler can save you heaps on your bills, although I appreciate the outlay is expensive.

The gov are doing schemes for new boilers, maybe you could see if you are entitled to a new free one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now