Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Ceramic drainer on oak worktops

(20 Posts)
lavenderhoney Sun 07-Sep-14 08:14:51

I have been looking at getting a drainer and not sure whether to get wooden or ceramic to sit on the worktop next to the sink.

Do I absolutely need one as I have a dishwasher? And will the worktop get damaged if I do or I don't? Thankssmile

Nevertriedapickledegg Sun 07-Sep-14 11:14:00

We don't have a drainer as such, but we do have a belfast sink and use one of these.
www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20267338/

As we have a dishwasher the amount of actual washing we do is small so this suffices for a few odds and ends.

In a previous kitchen (last house) we had an oak worktop too, and used a drainer that sat in a tray - somehow water always managed to get underneath it, probably as you lift items onto it and drips slink around... End result was dark patches underneath.

PigletJohn Sun 07-Sep-14 11:37:36

a sink with drainer will greatly reduce the amount of water damage and staining on your wooden worktop.

Wooden worktops are absolutely ideal for showrooms. Not so good in kitchens.

lavendersun Sun 07-Sep-14 14:48:48

I disagree with wood only being for showrooms. We have always had wood and when we replaced our kitchen a couple of years ago changed the beech for black walnut.

Osmo oil is fantastic stuff and only needs doing every two years or so. Ours are generally neglected and still look like new.

Also wood is v forgiving - you can sand out damage if you need to and re-treat. We have this type of sink:

idostuff.co.uk/blogs/2014/belfast-sink-with-drainer-small-kitchen-design/

lavendersun Sun 07-Sep-14 14:52:48

Posted too soon - we had this sort of drainer before

www.lovesinks.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/AST-BUT-DRAINER.jpg

was here for nearly ten years before we re-modelled.

Greencheese Sun 07-Sep-14 16:20:50

I saw one just like that yesterday lavendersun as I was mooching round Wicks. It looked nice, was it sturdy? I'd have visions of clumsy me chipping it!

lavendersun Sun 07-Sep-14 16:46:52

It was lovely, never moved, didn't chip and believe me we are clumsy.

When we were remodelling the kitchen we found an old fireplace and staircase we didn't know were here. We put chunky shelving into the fireplace recess .... made the shelves out of our old beech worktops including the bits from next to the sink - no damage at all. Our carpenter cut and sanded them, another coat of Osmo and they look really fab.

Greencheese Sun 07-Sep-14 17:44:21

Wow, what a great find! How did you find a staircase?

lavendersun Sun 07-Sep-14 18:22:01

We were quite shocked! House is 300 years old and used to be two cottages. We took off some nasty tongued and grooved wood (is that the right name, no idea) on one wall and found an inglenook fireplace with the odd bit of Rayburn here and there and dead bats. At the other end was a curly staircase with 1950s carpet.

Staircase was right in the most major corner of our kitchen design so we just put plasterboard over it and carried on but it would have been nice to use it.

Rooners Sun 07-Sep-14 18:38:26

Oh gosh I thought you were asking whether to put a ceramic sink into an oak worktop - I'm not sure whether to comment if you already have one.

We have 40mm oak and a ceramic sink with a drainer. Its awful - the sink has a high profile edge and everything you sit on the side of it like cups, sponge, teabag etc just drips off the side onto the oak.

It's got hardwax on but tbh it takes a battering from the constant dripping/sliding down. If anyone is fitting these things then check the profile of the sink, and make sure it doesn't have a lovely big curve on the edge for water to drain off onto your wooden side.

I wish I had never put in oak. It's such hard work trying to keep it dry.

Greencheese Sun 07-Sep-14 19:05:24

Sorry I'm derailing the thread here but that's really cool lavendersun ! Where did the staircase go? (I promise this is my last staircase question, I just love stuff like this that's all smile )

lavendersun Sun 07-Sep-14 19:28:28

You made me laugh Greenchase. It went up the side of the other inglenook (that would have been in the other cottage and that is in our sitting room) sort of running parallel to our existing straight staircase which must have been a later addition. Our carpenter found the top of it when he replaced all the floorboards upstairs.

Greencheese Sun 07-Sep-14 19:41:31

Ooooo it sounds very Scooby Doo! Love it ok I'll stop now ha

Rooners Sun 07-Sep-14 20:01:33

Oh we saw a cottage the other month with two staircases, one was sort of boarded in, at the top, with a door to the bottom of it - but the whole place was knocked together from two, so it was to be expected really.

I could not stand to have a staircase just sitting there unused though! Just think of the fun the children would have chasing each other up and down.

lavenderhoney Sun 07-Sep-14 21:28:06

Staircases? I thought I'd stepped into another dimensionsmile

I have a Belfast sink but just thought that a stand alone drainer would help a bit. I think it would, after reading all this about damp and wet.

Didn't the surveyor find a staircase?!!

Greencheese Sun 07-Sep-14 22:43:38

See lavenderhoney your intrigued by the stairs one too grin

Nevertriedapickledegg Mon 08-Sep-14 20:29:03

lavendersun I have sink envy envy Is that your blog?

Cinnamon73 Mon 08-Sep-14 20:42:25

Hi Op, we have this sink
and it's great. Wide edge, sitting on top of 4cm oak worktop.
And we didn't pay that much for it, can't remember where I bought it from.

monidda Tue 09-Sep-14 13:36:02

I wouldn't bother buying one, just place a clean tea towel when you wash something by hand then hang to dry once you finished. Pop in wash once a week job done.

SWEEPY22 Tue 12-Apr-16 18:37:13

ceramart uk.co.uk

www.ceramickitchendrainer.co.uk/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now