Talk

Advanced search

copper splashbacks?

(14 Posts)
TooMuchRain Wed 20-Aug-14 16:18:37

has anyone tried copper splashbacks? I like the look of something like the one in the picture but just wondering what kind of protection/maintenance they need

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 20-Aug-14 16:23:41

The real thing may be tricky to keep looking this good - but you could cheat and get a laminate with that finish ?!

TooMuchRain Wed 20-Aug-14 16:34:32

Laminate splashbacks? I have so much to learn/google...
Thanks smile

wowfudge Wed 20-Aug-14 16:36:07

They'd have to be lacquered to stop tarnish and eventually verdigris, or sandwiched behind glass and siliconed to keep air out. Or you'd have to do lots of polishing with lemon juice and salt.

TooMuchRain Thu 21-Aug-14 12:09:10

Not sure how long I would keep the polishing up but lacquering seems like a good option

Fcukfifa Thu 21-Aug-14 12:22:34

That looks beautifu, no idea if they would stay that way though

coraltoes Thu 21-Aug-14 14:08:20

Think would very quickly look awful with grease/ water residue, any scratches that could be accidental (leaning things against it etc). It looks beautiful but surely not for long. Also you just need one person with the wrong cloth giving it a helpful wipe and BOOM marked forever. Go low maintenance for your own sanity!!!

kmdesign Thu 21-Aug-14 14:35:51

Not a very good idea. It would have to be polished and varnished to keep the finish intact. However varnish deteriorates over time when exposed to water, grease and humidity and thats the end of your splashback.

However, if you are happy to have a splashback treated with mild acid and then varnished, you could have something really special.

Fcukfifa Fri 22-Aug-14 12:23:14

Would you consider copper pennies with an epoxy over the top?

TooMuchRain Fri 22-Aug-14 12:41:37

I wasn't sure about the pennies because the main reason that I am drawn to a splashback rather than tiles is because I like the continuous, uninterrupted effect (if that makes sense?).

But then i looked on pinterest and the effect is pretty great (photo for anyone who is curious)

PigletJohn Fri 22-Aug-14 13:22:06

brushed stainless steel is very durable, as long as you only ever rub it along the brushing and not in circles.

There is extra work in correctly wiring sockets and switches through metal splashbacks.

TooMuchRain Fri 22-Aug-14 13:25:32

Oh that is a very good point about the wiring - thank you! I will have to check with our electrician.

Fcukfifa Fri 22-Aug-14 17:26:27

The pennies do look lovely, but I understand what you mean about the continuous length, I saw a picture on fb of a kitchen floor done in 2ps and that looked great, I'll find a pic

Fcukfifa Fri 22-Aug-14 17:37:01

Wonder what it's like to keep clean hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now