Talk

Advanced search

Toilet in ensuite...yay or nay

(33 Posts)
ChishandFips33 Wed 13-Aug-14 23:17:26

Bounced from another ensuite thread but would you prefer a tiny master ensuite to have/not have a toilet?

There would be no compromise to storage space

marleymooo Wed 13-Aug-14 23:18:51

I think not having a toilet defeats how purpose?!

moggle Wed 13-Aug-14 23:20:29

Personally can't see the point of an ensuite without a toilet... Our 'ensuite' is just a toilet and sink though so may be biased... Also our only other toilet is downstairs so it is v handy! If we just had a shower cubicle, unfortunately I think DH would be tempted to use it as a loo... He does drink a lot of water and gets up to use the loo at least three times in the night...

makingdoo Wed 13-Aug-14 23:21:32

Definetly have a toilet in an ensuite. I love the fact that our toilet and shower is completely private. It means I can keep the main bathroom relatively clean and clutter free for visitor use.

TalcAndTurnips Wed 13-Aug-14 23:24:53

No loo in ensuite = DH/DP peeing in sink. This would happen. confused

It would be extremely inconvenient to not have one. Our ensuite is only small, but functions perfectly well with a loo, basin and shower. I do my cat-swinging in other parts of the house.

rockybalboa Wed 13-Aug-14 23:28:25

Our ensuite IS tiny. One loo and a tiny basin. If you are over 6ft and male you'll have to open the velux window to wee. Does us just fine though. Surely no en suite ever doesn't have a loo??!

Fillybuster Wed 13-Aug-14 23:28:34

There was no toilet in the en-suite when we bought our house, and it just felt completely pointless. In fact, it took me to the 3rd viewing to notice - because I just assumed it was there somewhere!

So far, it's the only thing we have changed in our house in over 2 years...I would soooooo much rather have a loo than a cupboard...grin

rockybalboa Wed 13-Aug-14 23:46:02

I've just re-read my post. 6ft+ males would still be expected to wee into the toilet, not out of the Velux window....confused

MissBattleaxe Wed 13-Aug-14 23:49:45

An ensuite is pointless without a loo.

BackforGood Thu 14-Aug-14 00:06:06

Agree with everyone else. Pointless without a toilet.

ShadowStar Thu 14-Aug-14 00:09:32

I can't see any point in an ensuite without a toilet.

Floralnomad Thu 14-Aug-14 00:10:10

Agree with all the others , no point without a WC .

wyrdyBird Thu 14-Aug-14 00:13:43

That did conjure up quite a picture, rockybalboa grin

I agree with others OP - ensuite needs a loo.

ChishandFips33 Thu 14-Aug-14 01:09:14

Unanimous! and that the DH's must empty bowels elsewhere

If push came to shove on space I'd rather have toilet/sink ensuite than shower/sink & no loo <eyes corner of room and mentally measures up>

rocky as DH is over 6ft that brought quite a vision in mind and something he may have done in his drunken youth

burnishedsilver Thu 14-Aug-14 01:09:38

The toilet is the most important part. Especially for weak post pregnancy bladders that have you up several times a night.

Namechangearoonie123 Thu 14-Aug-14 01:15:49

Yes , but if it's in the bedroom and within 10 feet of your head no shiting in it.

Late night pees only.

DrunkenWhore Thu 14-Aug-14 01:37:38

Definitely no point in am ensuite without a loo. I love our ensuite, I get up in the night at least 3-4 times to use the loo. It's so convenient, and I know I won't wake the dds up in the middle of the night.

CrimeaRiver Thu 14-Aug-14 01:39:12

I'm afraid I'm going to buck the trend: I find something especially gross about a toilet next to a bedroom, especially if the bedroom is carpeted (for some reason) and especially of the bedroom is shared with a man.

Unless the spaces are so huge that the loo might as well be next door as in the next room, in which case knock yourself out.

Marnierose Thu 14-Aug-14 02:49:41

Of you have an ensuite I would expect a toilet. Handy for when you have guests staying.

PigletJohn Thu 14-Aug-14 07:41:39

And of course an effective extractor fan that comes on with the light switch.

PurpleWithRed Thu 14-Aug-14 07:43:03

Loo.

Barbeasty Thu 14-Aug-14 07:52:36

I just don't get the argument that it is bad because it's next to a bedroom. Our "family" bathroom is between two bedrooms. How is that any better? How do you get an upstairs bathroom not next to a bedroom?

ptumbi Thu 14-Aug-14 07:56:17

It's not an en suite if it has no toilet. Otherwise it's a shower cubicle.

ThePerfectNegroni Thu 14-Aug-14 08:13:04

Yes yes yes! Toilets in. In fact my mum viewed a house last year that didn't have a loo in the ensuite and it cost the vendors the sale. She would have put an offer in if it had had a loo.

Think of the post sex walk to the loo- so much easier when you have an ensuite than having to go out of the bedroom. Imagine when the kids are teenagers and they just stare at you.

poocatcherchampion Thu 14-Aug-14 08:47:48

we had to put a loo in our ensuite. it is a large room so we still haven't figured out why it didn't have one. I was 8mo pregnant and heading towards a csection so it was pretty urgent to get one in. totally worth it.

and I poo in it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now