Talk

Advanced search

Claygate - any thoughts?

(11 Posts)
ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Thu 07-Aug-14 23:44:33

Anyone who lives there?
What is it really like living there? Any perspectives gratefully received!
Are the schools decent?
Is the high street ok?
Do you feel safe walking hone from the station at night?

ElizabethArdenGreenTeax Fri 08-Aug-14 00:07:47

dreary. the road to several slightly more interesting places though

MrTumblesCrackWhore Fri 08-Aug-14 00:15:02

General opinion from my London deserter friends to that area is that it's a bit common now. Don't have any justification to back that up, except that my mates aren't snobby and wouldn't make such a judgement without having good reason. They've decamped variously to Cobham, Hinchley Wood, Hersham, East Clandon and Weybridge. They're all happy in those places except apparently Hinchley Wood is 'dull'.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Fri 08-Aug-14 13:27:42

Do you have any idea what they meant?

MrTumblesCrackWhore Fri 08-Aug-14 13:35:31

About it being common? Well, I think they meant that they thought some people had moved there who had more money than taste or manners. Lots of showy changing rooms type decor, glossy kitchens, massive white 4x4s, loud mothering , brash kids - please don't take this as red , just an opinion from a small number of people.

MrTumblesCrackWhore Fri 08-Aug-14 13:36:36

I guess, though, that happens anywhere in pockets of Surrey...

moggle Fri 08-Aug-14 14:13:46

It doesn't seem to have much going on but I freely admit I've never been there. We've lived in Hersham for 5 years and have been to almost all the areas around us for one reason or another over this time but never been to claygate! (Not that I'm saying Hersham is the most exciting place in the universe but you're only a mile or two away from Walton and Esher town centres at least...)

Boysclothes Fri 08-Aug-14 14:21:31

I know claygate well, live nearby and have a job which means I visit people in their homes there.

High street and green are pretty, few shops and a couple of nice restaurants. Very safe. The roads where the housing is are a bit dreary. Mostly big new builds. A few roads where housing is ex council and your neighbours are not as posh as the rest of claygate. Lots of travellers. You will need a car to get anywhere a bit interesting but Esher, Walton, kingston are easy reach. Primary school is a nice villagey type school, the two secondaries are hinchley wood (brilliant) and Esher high (less good but still ok) and they both have catchment areas so try and move into the hinchley wood catchment. Basically a bit of a nowhere place but nice enough.

Briony32 Fri 08-Aug-14 22:32:40

I don't live there, but have been a few times recently and it's bloody lovely. Very pretty indeed with just enough shops/pubs/restaurants to get by. Train station - yes. Yesterday the recreation ground was bustling with people. Lots for children to do....cricket club, football. Claygate cricket pavilion has a very nice cafe run my local mums. Looks very safe for children. Annual flower show (much more than a flower show, more like a festival). Annual fun run. Huge community spirit. Don't know much about housing. Some of the houses look lovely and aren't all new builds at all. Lots of 1950s large detached 'cottages' on way in from Hinchley Wood. Looks expensive. Great pub with morris dancers when we went. Have heard good things about village primary school and Hinchley Wood secondary.
Cobham nice too but much bigger. Hersham is very divided, one side of the large roundabout is 'naice', other side is more ex council but has station. Costa Coffee just opened but high street not great. Weybridge is a bit soulless and people are showy. I would consider Molesey too which is nearby, which has great schools (mostly), active community and so much to do for families...parks, river walks, Hampton Court Palace, Kingston for shopping.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Sun 10-Aug-14 00:20:51

Thank you!!! This is so very helpful.

massagegirl Sun 19-Jul-15 11:18:10

Just bumping this thread in case anyone is looking for information. Claygate is great, so happy we moved here. Loads going on, big sense of village community which you don't find in surrounding areas. I've made lovely friends through my little one who are all normal and not at all showy/snobby. Quick commute into london, regular bus service to esher, kingston, surbiton so you don't need to drive. Lovely pubs, shops, playgroups, excercise classes, choirs etc. love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now