Advanced search

Crack in the wall that joins one part of the house to the other. Who do i call?

(12 Posts)
ogredownstairs Mon 21-Jul-14 11:50:23

was just coming on to say seasonal movement v. common with Victorian houses and nothing to worry about but Pigletjohn has given a much better explanation than I could!

Anonynonny Mon 21-Jul-14 11:32:35

We're on fairly chalky land here apparantly

Anonynonny Mon 21-Jul-14 11:32:07

Thank you, that's helpful

It's 1880 the house. (ish)

PigletJohn Sun 20-Jul-14 20:47:28

if it is a "back addition" in a 1900's ish house, it probably has shallower foundations than the rest of the house (very shallow, by modern standards) so will be settling differently, and moving around differently (esp if you are on clay) up and down with wet and dry seasons.

Your insurers are pretty sure to say it is just seasonal movement and doesn't need any of their money spent on it, but might take some measurements.

If they don't do it, drill a couple of round-headed stainless screws into the two adjoining walls, with a plastic or stainless ruler screwed to the wall by one of them, and touching or riding on the other screw head. Take photos from time to time and observe if the movement is getting greater, or if it is just moving back and forth.

Date and retain for photos for future arguments.

Anonynonny Sun 20-Jul-14 20:41:14

Yes, I'm not sure if it was added later or is part of the original house. I think it's part of the original as all the bricks are the same colour but I cd be wrong

PigletJohn Sun 20-Jul-14 20:27:43

is "the other part" a back addition with kitchen, or what?

Anonynonny Sun 20-Jul-14 18:39:41


Ithinkwerealonenow Wed 16-Jul-14 08:52:40

Ghostbusters grin

Bunbaker Tue 15-Jul-14 22:10:10

Yes. Definitely call your buildings insurance company.

Anonynonny Tue 15-Jul-14 22:06:39

Thank you Hassled. smile

Hassled Tue 15-Jul-14 21:50:50

The insurers will have preferred surveyors - call the insurers first and they'll arrange for someone to come and have a look.

Anonynonny Tue 15-Jul-14 21:49:11

Looks like one part of the house has slightly moved away from the other part. Would my buildings insurance pay for this? I presume they'd ask for a surveyor's report, who would I call, chartered surveyor, building surveyor, any other type of surveyor?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now